Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The replacement to dexos1 Gen 2 has been floating around for a couple years. There have been delays thanks to the pandemic but it is now here. Licenses started being issued on Sept 1 2021. Here is the early and soon to be growing dexos1 Gen 3 list: dexos®1 Gen 3 | GM

I discovered actual product in the field at my local Meijer. They had been low or empty on Mobil1 5W30 stock for a few weeks and found new bottles today that have the gen3 stamp. The Mobil1 isn't even on the license list yet. That Mobil listed at gmdexos is the regular Mobil Full Synthetic that seems to be the same or simily to ACDelco Full Synthetic.

Attached is a sketchy chart with an unknown scale. It is basically just a representation of various spec attributes and what is the same or improved over previous or comparable specs. The big target of gen3 seems to be creation of a new turbocharger cleanliness standard. Gen3 also sees some improvement to sludge control and pre-ignition protection while seeing no change to wear, corrosion, or catalyst protection. FWIW...

Source: GM dexos1 gen 3 - Oronite

Attachments

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,908 Posts
On that chart, I noticed that it says "Courtesy Chevron".

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
That's a weird chart. My first instinct is a royalty scam by GM for licensing for ''mo money''.

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another chart with part of the specification allowances. Sourced from the same link above.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I had an oil change @ the dealer on 11/3-wondering if it was gen 3?
I doubt it. Dealers by oil by bulk, 55 gal. drums or have a bulk tank filled. Until they use up what they have it will be Gen 2.
Main concern is changing oil when it's due, not if it's Gen 2 or 3.
My view is that NO oil should be passing through the motor to affect turbos or intake valves.

·
Super Moderator
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had an oil change @ the dealer on 11/3-wondering if it was gen 3?
I doubt it. But it may be more of a technically. Like repairman said, they buy in bulk so what they bought was probably under a gen 2 license. Question is did the formulation need to change to meet the new tighter requirements? If it didn't then yeah it's gen 2 oil that also meets gen 3.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I doubt it. But it may be more of a technically. Like repairman said, they buy in bulk so what they bought was probably under a gen 2 license. Question is did the formulation need to change to meet the new tighter requirements? If it didn't then yeah it's gen 2 oil that also meets gen 3.
Happy Thanksgiving to you guys and your Families

·
Registered
84 Posts
The chart is typically referred to as Radar, Spider or Web chart. It is a great visual method for product comparison when the axis (concentric circles) are used correctly (and labeled). Without the parameters labeled, the chart is typical marketing BS, since one can magnify minor (sometimes insufficient) differences.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,499 Posts
That's a weird chart. My first instinct is a royalty scam by GM for licensing for ''mo money''.
The real answer to this question would be whether something like Mobil 1 synthetic actually changed at all to achieve gen 2 and gen 3. We know the in-house bulk dexos gen 1 was a synthetic blend, but gen 2 was full synthetic after GM's wave of engine troubles. The answer could be somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: repairman54
1 - 10 of 10 Posts