Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking I'd look for another key fob on ebay to have as a backup and found them pretty cheap. They all say you need to have the dealer program them. I of course don't want to pay them for something that trivial.

I started looking around and it looks like you can only initiate the programming of the key fob by using a GM Tech 2 Scan Tool. This tool costs about $5k. As much as I am tempted to spend about a quarter of the cost of my car on a scan tool just so I can program the key fob that I bought on ebay myself... I really don't want to pay that much for the tool.

Does anyone know of any other tools that would provide the ability to trigger the key fob programming?

·
Registered
135 Posts
at this time no...it's only $45 to program them

·
Registered
19 Posts
You don't have to go to a delaer, most local repair shops have them, they do cost alot of money, 5k for the tool and then about 1,200 bucks for updates every year. About a year ago I replaced my PCM in my trailblazer from pcmforless.com and you have to have the TPS relearned and this can only be done with a Tech2, I went to this little Mom and Pop shop and the guy did it for $10 bucks, the dealer wanted $75 for it, just call around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.