Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have no clue when it comes to cars, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is worth paying to fix. I accidentally rear-ended someone but the airbags did not go off and no one was injured. I don’t really have anyone else to turn to for these kinds of advice. Thanks!
When I tried driving it off to the side of the road, the wheels would not turn and there was some smoke….
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,039 Posts
You always "want" to fix it, but sometimes the decision comes down to what's reasonable. If the car has a great deal of sentimental value, then you're going to be more biased toward fixing it. If it's just a car, then you may be more inclined to put that money toward a replacement.

The issue with buying any used car is that you don't know what you've got. If the one up there has been meticulously maintained and is in sound mechanical shape otherwise, it may be a better choice to go with repairing it. Also, how confident are you that buying another car will get you one that'll be a good vehicle for a long time?

Lots of things to consider, and the choice ends up being yours.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,662 Posts
Just speaking purely on value vs cost of repairs or "totalled", without knowing the year or mileage just guessing... yes. The cost of repairs will exceed the car's value. Body panels, hood, radiator, sensors, but the big evidence that damage is substantial is the wheels being unable to turn and there being smoke.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the early 90s my old Z-28 Camaro was hit in the quarter panel. My insurance wanted to pay me $250 to get it fixed....nothing more! I liked the car....still have it.... so I paid the $1200 for repairs which was a lot of money to me. Your car has more damage though. Since you state you have little knowledge when it comes to auto parts, you'll be at the mercy of the retailers. I bet the hood alone will be around $1000 after it's painted. You could easily have a total bill of $4K or $5K. Unless u love that car like I did mine, then your best bet is to go with your insurance company. Nowadays even if the accident is your fault and you have collision coverage, the insurance will pay.....get ready for a bill hike though. Listen to your agent. He or she will likely...keep ur fingers crossed....do right by you. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I have no clue when it comes to cars, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is worth paying to fix. I accidentally rear-ended someone but the airbags did not go off and no one was injured. I don’t really have anyone else to turn to for these kinds of advice. Thanks!
When I tried driving it off to the side of the road, the wheels would not turn and there was some smoke….
View attachment 71898
If you have that Pearl White color, just paint matching will be over $1000. You have what could be 4-6000 worth of Body shop rate to fix it. turn it in to the insurance company

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,505 Posts
I'm kind of shocked the airbags didn't go off, but that is for sure totalled. A replacement Malibu (or equivalent sedan) would be a far simpler solution.

Reactions: Malo83

·
Registered
92 Posts
If they use salvage parts for body panels. It will keep cost down. But radiator condenser lines should be new. They may use aftermarket parts, OEM or dealer parts will cost more. The stirring problem, and engine smoking may be just the antifreeze hitting the hot engine. But the estimate you get should reflect what needs to be done. Get 3 estimates let them tell you what needs to be done. And just listen. Age of the Vehicle and worth will be your deciding factor. As the insurance company will not usually give more than their book Value. To fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You always "want" to fix it, but sometimes the decision comes down to what's reasonable. If the car has a great deal of sentimental value, then you're going to be more biased toward fixing it. If it's just a car, then you may be more inclined to put that money toward a replacement.

The issue with buying any used car is that you don't know what you've got. If the one up there has been meticulously maintained and is in sound mechanical shape otherwise, it may be a better choice to go with repairing it. Also, how confident are you that buying another car will get you one that'll be a good vehicle for a long time?

Lots of things to consider, and the choice ends up being yours.
if the damage is cosmetic fix it if the damage is structral have someone with experence with auto to give u some advicewe just repaired an 2009 malibu passanger side front panel and another skin on front got all parts from jyd the important thing is to know it u have structal damage let that be to fix or not

1 - 8 of 8 Posts