Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard Downshifting and Delayed shifting. Shifts so hard it jerks the whole car, RPMS raise highly and excessive engine noise (as if I’m pressing the accelerator down hard) because of delayed shifting. Seems like I need a whole new transmission... never heard of problems with the 6 speed in the Malibu’s, I have in the impalas tho. Anyone else had any of these issues? I have a 2016 Chevy Malibu LT 1.5T with the 6 speed automatic. Has been getting progressively worse as time goes on.

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Your last discussion for a different issue (perhaps) never came to an end. You said it was going for diagnosis but I don't see any followup. What was the result of that? It sounds like your car needs some serious dealer time.

The shifts in the 3rd gen 6T40 can be felt a little on downshift but it is minor. Hard shifts that jerk the car I have not read of before. Is this car still around 40k miles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also have a problem with the leaking on headliner and the trunk but decided not to make a thread about that since we’ve already seen many threads about it, I’m thinking about just trading it in all together.. car has 39500 miles

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
The headliner issue is a special program now covered to 72k. If the possible transmission issue is not tossing a code it may take time to manifest. It is also possible this is heading the way of the pedal position sensor issue. Who knows, would need diagnosis. When so many things need diagnosis you can't keep them straight (I can't) your idea of a trade might be a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No check engine lights or anything but accelerator pedal does make a strange noise sometime but still works normal, fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
Headliner leak will be covered, and if your 5 year powertrain warranty is still active, then they will fix that for you as well. At the very least they can offer you a reflash of your transmission program.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: after going to dealership and them test driving it, they couldn’t duplicate the problem but I was told that the previous owner did have to have the TCM replaced (according to the gm warrant claims data) so maybe it has something to do with that, have to take to second dealer for more troubleshooting... in other news, headliner problem will be resolved under warranty!

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
Headliner/lamp is a +. The transmission issue seems unpleasant. My guess is the previous owner had the same problem you have and they replaced the TCM hoping to solve it. Or perhaps something is causing problems with the TCM over time and that something happened again. Good news powertrain warranty should (hopefully) cover whatever they find if transmission related. Good luck and thanks for updating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Headliner/lamp is a +. The transmission issue seems unpleasant. My guess is the previous owner had the same problem you have and they replaced the TCM hoping to solve it. Or perhaps something is causing problems with the TCM over time and that something happened again. Good news powertrain warranty should (hopefully) cover whatever they find if transmission related. Good luck and thanks for updating.
Fingers crossed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts