Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard water spots

15K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  GerMcBrassfield 
#1 ·
Well its that time of the year. The sprinklers are on and washing the Malibu every 2 days with a nice bath of hard ass water. Now my windows have impossible to remove spots on them as well as the paint but not as bad as the windows. Does anyone have a safe way to remove them? Thanks.

#7 ·
Try the clay bar on the windows first, I've had bad experiences with razor blades on glass. Even though it looks like they don't scratch the glass, somehow they do. You can see all the scratches with the glare of the sun.

#11 ·
Use a clay bar on the paint or windows... and Permatex makes an auto glass stripper thats on Amazon for like $8 that is potent but works. Then Aquapel the windows and wax the paint!

Clay bar is the way to go before a good coat of polish, and then wax. IMO

#18 ·
Vinegar is a light deluted acid and reacts (neutralizes) the calcium deposts. I also used it when I detailed cars years ago. Another trick is to spray distilled water over the car after washing and it will help prevent the spots if you miss wiping the car down after washing.

#19 ·
I use a garden sprayer to spray down the car with a gallon of distilled water... It's an extra 88 cents a wash but works well... and alot of times it only takes half a gallon or so if the car has had a few minutes to start to drip dry as you cleaned out your buckets, etc...

#20 ·
So you guys that use vinegar, you just use it for your final spray down of the car after you're done washing it? I'm looking for an easier way then having to claybar the whole car (even though I'll do that sooner or later).

I waxed with NXT 2.0 and a random orbital buffer a month ago, and it didn't get the water spots off...I was hoping it would, but didn't really do much at all.

#22 ·
White vinegar and very fine steel wool. Rub lightly until you don't see or feel the water spots anymore. You can feel them because they are the mineral deposits from hard water after the water evaporates. In extreme cases it'll eat into the glass and cause pitting. Those are much harder to remove and may end up requiring glass replacement. Check with a window, glass, or tint company to see if they can give you any suggestions.

#23 ·
DONT USE STEEL WOOL, it scratches the glass, you may not see it while your doing it, but in the right sunlight it looks like you took a buffer to your windows with sand. It will scratch them. The best thing i've found so far is a product made by duragloss, which is a water / hard spot remover. its sold at carquest and it applied by hand or machine. just put some on a rag and start rubbing. Wash your windows first of course. And wash again when done and apply 2 coats of rain-x.

#31 ·
Hard water on glass? No problem here.....but! Hard water spots on paint, that is another story. I have heard 1/2 Vinegar and 1/2 water mixed will do the job. Haven't done it yet. Since my current ride is the Ford Focus with (I think?) metallic paint, it might hide those rascally hard water spots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.