Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a 2009 LTZ with the 3.6 this weekend and have been looking into aftermarket headlights for it. The only projectors I've found are linked at the bottom and I was curious to see if anyone can speak for the quality/looks of these.

New account link issue

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
Some time back I was looking at those and considered them for quite awhile before deciding not to do it. The only reason was that I wanted more light than the halogens provide and those still use halogens. They're also not the original H11 bulbs, so you'll have to learn what they are when replacing them.

It also appears that the incandescent park/turn signal has been replaced by amber LEDs, but it's nice to see that the kit includes load-balancing resistors.

If you buy these, do yourself a favor and get some WeatherPack connectors so you can disconnect the housing from the stock connector and be pretty sure that there won't be any weather-related issues. The last thing you want is to have the lights start doing funny things at night on a backroad!

Also, I recommend soldering any wire junction you make, then covering it with heat-shrink tubing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply. I'll probably pull the trigger on a set in a few months. I don't necessarily mind the halogen lights in them, and I think proper HIDs would burn up the housing.

·
Administrator
17,103 Posts
I kinda doubt that HIDs would burn the housings. I converted the passenger side to HID and never had an issue with the temps.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Don't put aftermarket headlights in a gen 7 Malibu. You're just asking for problems. No high quality aftermarket brands support this car and you're just going to get chinese-made trash that will break and make your life miserable.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
2x, gen 7 OEM housings do just fine with a HID kit in them. 100k miles on my old '09 with zero housing issues. Projector kit is a waste of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm picking up a 2009 LTZ with the 3.6 this weekend and have been looking into aftermarket headlights for it. The only projectors I've found are linked at the bottom and I was curious to see if anyone can speak for the quality/looks of these.

so I have these on my Malibu as we speak. However I got the smoked lens and not the clear lens so it makes the road visibility not all that great. They are H1 bulbs for both low beam and high beam. Also in order to adjust the headlights you have to take them off them car so if you do buy them make sure you adjust them to where you want/need before putting everything back together. The projector seems to scatter the light and this is with halogen bulbs. I’m not sure if it’s just the smoke lens or if the projector itself sucks. Other than that everything is plug and play no need to solder any wires or make shift anything. If you do go HID just make sure it is a quality kit. I am swapping these to the clear lens to see if it’s any better if it’s not I’mgoing to some black housing oem replacements. Hope this helps man and let me figure out how to upload pics I’ll show you what they look like on the car bro.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Man those look good. I think I'm gonna get a pair and use the retrofit source's retro-quick kit to put in morimoto projectors. How bright are the DRLs?
The retro quick kit is what? 150 bucks, plus these 350 dollar headlights. You’re looking at 500 dollar headlights on a car that’s worth 5k. Just buy a HID projector kit and you got yourself better light output for less than 100 bucks. Heck you can even get some fancy DRL shrouds .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts