Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little hard to describe but for the last 3000 miles, when I accelerate between 40 mph and 55 mph the car shudders or shakes. When I let off the gas, it stops. From about 55 mph on everything is fine. It has gotten slowly worse over time. Before having it looked at I am waiting to see if a code comes up at some point. In the absence of a code it strikes me as being something that would be difficult to diagnose as it is only present under those narrowly defined conditions.

2017 MH 55,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
3,002 Posts
I updated your title to add a little description to the issue. I can't recall reading anything like this on the MH. For the most part they seem to run oddity or trouble-free. I did a search for "shudder" "shake" even "vibration" in the Hybrid section and found nothing. There is a bulletin about a flaring sensation but it is at steady speed not accel only. You note it is getting worse so it might not be normal... perhaps a mount. Air filter got changed at 45k? Hopefully the Hybrid faithful will stop by and share experiences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've not encountered this problem, but it sounds like it might be an intermittent misfire condition that hasn't reached the frequency threshold to trigger a DTC. That road speed range corresponds to direct drive mode (within a certain load window), and the combination of high load (higher cylinder pressure) and low RPM tends to expose secondary (high voltage) ignition system weaknesses. Short drive cycles might contribute to excessive spark plug deposits. Once the drivetrain is at operating temperature, occasional WOT operation would help to clean the combustion chambers and oxygen sensors. Don't be surprised when it stops accelerating at 100 MPH. :) If there's no improvement, it might be something like a cracked sparkplug insulator or degraded insulation in an ignition coil. Using a scantool to monitor misfire counts might help to guide the investigation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quick and possibly stupid question... Have you had your tires checked? Sometimes the shake and shudder can be cause by bad tires (even new tires can be bad) as the belts break or separate and cause that condition at certain speeds.

Just throwing it out there before spending tons of money and time on other things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good thought. I recently took the snows off and put the summer tires on, the shaking is still present over that limited range of RPMs and only under acceleration. I realize at some point I will need to take the car in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a follow up on the shaking under acceleration of my 2017 MH. After taking the car in to the dealership it was determined that there was a defect in the right driveshaft assembly and CV joint. That whole unit was replaced under the powertrain warranty, which I did not even know extended out this far. So I was rather pleased to get this repair done at no cost to me. Driving the car home it was perfectly smooth again.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
Thank you for sharing the solution.

It always feels so good when bad turns to good. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts