Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if this was a common problem on these cars and if there is a drain going down there and pooling water into this spot. It was never hit in this location, and Chevy refuses to do anything about it. I am trying to look on diagrams, but I can't see anything there. Going to dig a little deeper into it and see why it happened.

Also, the car is doing a weird pulling sensation when there is a dip in the road. Nothing is loose or looks broken as far as ball joints go, maybe needs an alignment or just a bad suspension design...

Just did an oil change, and it is running like a top!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was just about to post the same thing...a rust spot has developed along the bottom side skirt, just across from the rear driver side door. The passenger side isn't as bad, but has some paint starting to bubble up. I took it to a body shop to get a quote on fixing, but the owner explained that the problem is due to the pinch welds that the factory put on the metal strip there, allowing for moisture to get into the pockets between, and that it's basically a case of obsolescence from the start. He explained everything he would have to do in thorough detail, and ended up recommending not going through with it as the final cost was about $1500 to do both sides. He also said it would basically be a cosmetic issue for a long time before it became anything more serious from a structural standpoint, and suggested possibly applying some simple rust inhibitor. Anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions?

Driver Side

Passenger Side

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I've heard of and seen a product on some of these "gearhead" TV shows that you paint over rust and it is supposed to actually stop it from rusting further and keep the painted surface from rusting. I can't recall the name. I think it looks black when it "cures" or dries, not sure if it can be painted over but I think it can.

·
Certified Technician
695 Posts
I've heard of and seen a product on some of these "gearhead" TV shows that you paint over rust and it is supposed to actually stop it from rusting further and keep the painted surface from rusting. I can't recall the name. I think it looks black when it "cures" or dries, not sure if it can be painted over but I think it can.
it's called POR-15

Stop Rust with POR-15 - Professional automotive and industrial coatings for permanent corrosion protection.

Tip.. use their topcoat and then paint your color over that.
We did the alignment rack in POR15, then put tractor enamel on over it.. the tractor enamel didn't stick in a couple spots.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is a very common rust area in older Malibus; I'm a little surprised to see it in a gen 7. It is caused by a sanding like condition brought on by the front tires. Sand, rocks and a combination of rain, possibly salt and other road debris hit this area. In time, this area becomes rusted. The only true way of getting rid of rust is to cut it out; The body repair person will need to cut out this rusted portion of the lower rocker and weld new metal in its place. The auto body person will also need to check behind this area to spot any signs of rust. Make sure that the body shop spells out that they will cut out the rust; Many shops will simply sand the area and re-paint. You might as well flush that money down the toilet, because the rust will surely return with just sanding or applying body filler over it.

I have had a lot of experience with this type of rust, and it can be expensive to fix, let alone there is no guarantee that other areas of the car will also rust. What you can do (if you don't have this rust yet) is to make sure that the car is clean, and apply a generous amount of wax in this area, and around the rim of your wheel openings. A lot of people don't fix this rust as well, as the car may have aged significantly or it has a lot of miles on it.

I also read of a '13 having rust. '13 cars or younger will need to go right back to the dealer, as GM has a specific warranty against corrosion and rust thru. a '13 car should not be rusting at all.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Funny to see this post (but not funny to those that have it). My 1967 and 1968 Cadillac Coupe DeVilles had the same problem as did all 67-68 Cad CDV's. The fix that GM did at that time was to drill a small drain hole under the bottom of the rust area after they repaired or replaced the fender. I had a few 67 thru 72 Cads and always drilled a small drain hole there. I think eventually GM added drains holes, wonder why they stopped?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have rust in this location on my 2010 with 106k miles. Has anyone tried the POR-15 product mentioned? I can live with a less than perfect repair cosmetically but want to stop the spread as much as possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work for a Rust control company. Unfortunately there isn't any make or model built that completely withstands the elements, even manufacturers with 10 yr warranties. The formula for rust is salt, moisture and heat. The areas most prone are where salty water from the wheel wells creeps behind splash panels/fender liners or that small opening where a bumper skin and the body line meet.
Oil with rust inhibitor is a means of protecting the inner surfaces but requires knowlegible people to drill holes and spray into those
areas. The neat thing about oil it creeps into fine seams and will wick vertically as well. If you see bubbles, its coming from inside.
Cut and repair, then treat those areas from the inside,
If a vehicle is properly sprayed yearly with RI oil from new, it is not uncommon the have a vehicle for 20 yrs and still no rust.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 2009 is rusting in the same spot. And also farther up on the wheel well. Comes with age. Mine has 275k miles on it, and gets driven in the rain, snow, slush, salt, gravel, muddy gravel, you name it. So it's no surprise to see a bit of rust. I'm not going to worry about fixing it on mine. The car isn't worth what it would cost to fix the rust with this many miles. Just drive it til the wheels fall off!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Working at a rust control company, what commercial product do you recommend to stop the spread? I haven't used the POR-15 product mentioned personally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When this area is repaired it will never fully match the surrounding area. Is there a plastic stone guard that will cover this area thereby hiding the repair? Something like the same material in a mudflap, or the plastic in the stone guard on the front of some pick up trucks?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too have rust in this location on my 2010 with 106k miles. Has anyone tried the POR-15 product mentioned? I can live with a less than perfect repair cosmetically but want to stop the spread as much as possible.
I knew of someone who swore by Por15, grind down/wire-brush trouble spots and paint on (no primer required). He swore by it then and from what I know its held up pretty good since. But from what I remember the underside of his car then was pretty clean to begin with (it was a 91 camaro weekend driver/show car).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
16 Participants
curtis09
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing