Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a 2010 chevy Malibu lt with the 2.4 engine. It wasn’t marking the coolant temp sensor on the gauge so I replaced the coolant temp sensor. When I replaced it, it worked for a couple of days and started doing the same thing. I went and bought another one thinking it was a faulty part and replaced that same sensor again. It worked another two days and it went back to not reading the coolant temp. I was under the hood one day and I pulled the negative battery cable off the battery to reset everything and the coolant temp sensor was working again. I drove it another couple of days and the coolant temp sensor wasn’t reading again. The coolant temp sensor only works when I pull the negative terminal to reset everything. It will work for a day or two and then quit reading the temp again. I’m thinking about replacing the negative battery cable. Anyone know what it could be???

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,996 Posts
Scan the car for all of the codes, otherwise you're guessing.

Or, to quote what you shared on another thread, have you tried replacing the negative battery cables?

I suppose if it's good enough to suggest to others, then it's good enough for you as well, don't cha think?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scan the car for all of the codes, otherwise you're guessing. Or, to quote what you shared on another thread, have you tried replacing the negative battery cables? I suppose if it's good enough to suggest to others, then it's good enough for you as well, don't cha think?
I’m sorry not sorry for posting that!! Just wanted to see if the other person had tried that.

· Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,996 Posts
They'll respond or they won't.

But for your issue, scanning is the first step.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hello everyone! I have a 2010 chevy Malibu lt with the 2.4 engine. It wasn’t marking the coolant temp sensor on the gauge so I replaced the coolant temp sensor. When I replaced it, it worked for a couple of days and started doing the same thing. I went and bought another one thinking it was a faulty part and replaced that same sensor again. It worked another two days and it went back to not reading the coolant temp. I was under the hood one day and I pulled the negative battery cable off the battery to reset everything and the coolant temp sensor was working again. I drove it another couple of days and the coolant temp sensor wasn’t reading again. The coolant temp sensor only works when I pull the negative terminal to reset everything. It will work for a day or two and then quit reading the temp again. I’m thinking about replacing the negative battery cable. Anyone know what it could be???
I switched to a Gen 2 Cruze (Our. Best. Car. Ever.) but I still get the e-mail every Thursday.

Back when I had a Gen 7 Malibu, I posted twice about repeat thermostat failures and how, for some unfathomable reason, the PCM is programmed to shutdown the temperature gauge when the engine fails to reach operating temperature within a certain amount of time. Somewhere I probably still have the original (probably good!) temperature sensor that I changed the first time it happened and thermostat number 6. (I probably still have a bunch of temperature sensor seals and clips from the wife's 03 VW Pissat (Worst. Car. Ever.) but that's a different story. Please don't ask.) (Maybe it's time to get rid of parts for cars we don't own anymore?)

This thread tells the story of the first time it happened and has a picture of how the thermostat failed. Other members were most helpful that time. I also posted the fourth time it happened. About seven months later the car was totaled and ...did I mention the Cruze?

I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts