Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had some warning lights installed on our 2008 Malibu, and I have noticed that on the one car after doing the headlight install the driver side headlight aiming is off. The beam doesn't project far enough in front of the car. Is there a way I can self adjust this one lamp so we don't have to take the car back to the installer? If so could someone give me detailed instructions on how to adjust? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are probably some adjustment screws within the headlight assembly, but trying to use a garage door to properly align the lights is rather pointless. If the installer isn’t able to adjust, I am sure most auto shops can do it for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure there is a screw, I just can't seem to find it anywhere. I have looked all over the internet trying to find a DIY with no luck. I didn't know if someone could tell me how to get to them.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would like to adjust mine too. I think they are a bit too low. I have lived with it this long because it wasn't until this winter that I drove the car much in the dark. I am sure if I took it to the dealer they would say it's fine. Now that it is starting to warm up here I thought about messing with them. I checked the manual and it says:

Headlamp Aiming
Headlamp aim has been preset at the factory and
should need no further adjustment.
However, if your vehicle is damaged in a crash, the
headlamp aim may be affected. Aim adjustment to the
low-beam headlamps may be necessary if oncoming
drivers flash their high-beam headlamps at you
(for vertical aim).
If the headlamps need to be re-aimed, it is
recommended that you take the vehicle to your
dealer/retailer for service.

:rolleyes:

Retarded just like changing the bulbs. I looked around under the hood and all I can see is one point that looks like a screw and whatever it is in is marked L <--> R so I'm not sure if that makes the beam go left and right or what. I couldn't see anything that said up/down or anything like that.

·
Read Only
49 Posts
I have an '08 'Spring Special' LTZ and had to adjust the headlights because they were too low. I, too, read the owner's manual and thought taking it to the dealer was not a good answer.

Open the hood, there's a slot opening above the headlight near the edge of the hood opening. Look down into the slot with a flashlight and you will see a hex head screw head. This screw will also accept a Phillips screw driver. Turn the screw clockwise to raise the light. I turned mine 4 full turns on both sides.

Can't understand why the manual tells you to take it to the dealer for this adjustment. It's no big deal.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good info and it worked for me. Much better now. I gave each a turn and a half because I didn't want to go too crazy. I haven't been high beamed by anyone so I think I got it set good.

My initial though was that the point there was for headlight adjustment but with it being marked like it was I didn't think it would do up/down. I have no idea why it is marked L/R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '08 'Spring Special' LTZ and had to adjust the headlights because they were too low. I, too, read the owner's manual and thought taking it to the dealer was not a good answer.

Open the hood, there's a slot opening above the headlight near the edge of the hood opening. Look down into the slot with a flashlight and you will see a hex head screw head. This screw will also accept a Phillips screw driver. Turn the screw clockwise to raise the light. I turned mine 4 full turns on both sides.

Can't understand why the manual tells you to take it to the dealer for this adjustment. It's no big deal.

Would you happen to know how to adjust the fog lights? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fog lights can be adjusted with an Allen Wrench; if you look at the very top of the lamp itself, just behind the bumper facia are the adjusters ;) I just did it myself. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the left-to-right on the headlights... Also, get about the longest Phillips you can find to get to the vertical adjusters :D

I hope this was helpful, though it was pretty late :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had to adjust the headlights on our 09. I turned the adjustment one turn clockwise to raise the lights. Only have one evening on it so far but it made a big difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Wanna know why? they dont want other people working on there cars because it takes money out of the dealers pockets... and plus it makes an average joe scared and think it would void the warranty and not want too take it to a mom and pop shop. I personally HATE dealers and is the only thing i hate about owning a new car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.