Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to let y'all know, it's rediculous how much stuff you have to do just to change a simple headlight bulb or turn signal.

if anyone needs and info, let me know, it wasn't easy. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know what you mean I did mine ,you have to take the front apart to get to them,I installed Piaa`s I hope they don`t burn out soon,they do make a difference though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How well do the fog lights work on the Malibu? On my Grand PRix I really need them to see the road well. So if I get a Malibu model with no fog lights, I wonder if I'll notice the difference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There's a thread for HID lights around here somewhere.
See, I thought that stuff was illegal because HID lights are designed for special HID enclosures and you end up blinding everyone else on the road because your lights aren't alligned.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, I thought that stuff was illegal because HID lights are designed for special HID enclosures and you end up blinding everyone else on the road because your lights aren't alligned.
you can adjust the headlights, projects are the best way, but they dont make any for the malibu yet.

i haven't gotten flashed yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
BuckyFan
Re: headlight bulbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
There's a thread for HID lights around here somewhere.
Yea, I guess my other ride did have projector lenses with a cut off to not blind others. Plus you would have to re-align once installed. I may go with some 65W Osrams instead of HIDs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a set of aftermarket head and fog lights for my 08' LTZ and just realized how *@!& this setup is!!! I bought a online subscription from chilton for this car to see if they had a process description and what usless junky item that is... Anybody have advice or a detailed discription on how to replace these bulbs the RIGHT way.

Thanks for everything!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I had a headlight question. My passenger signal light started flashing quickly so I assumed the bulb was out. To my discovery it wasnt the flasher light but the headlight that was out. Neither the high or low beam light works on that side now. Another odd thing was that when my car is in park it doesnt speed up the flashing and if i just have on the park lights the flasher works perfectly. I guess this is because of how the electrical system works.

Is this similar to what others experienced or do I have deeper issues? I wouldnt think both bulbs would go out at the same time unless it kills them both because the current flows through one to the other kinda like Christmas lights do.

In simple question, when your headlight went out did it kill both the high and low beam on that one side?

I am just trying to save myself problems by researching this first so I do not have to remove the bumper cover twice.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,154 Posts
A fast flash suggests that you have either a burned out filament or an overload (like a short circuit). Check your turn signals on the front and rear by turning on the emergency flashers. If one of the bulbs seems to flash dimmer than another you may have the park filament doing the flashing instead of the turn filament.

But, based on what you describe, I'm guessing that you have a bad ground for the headlight assembly. The headlights can act as paths for the turn signal to find a ground, but when the headlight is actually being illuminated (or if the switch is on) then that path is no longer available to the turn signal and it won't flash that bulb, resulting in a fast flash for that side. It's kinda complicated to explain, but trust me, a bad common ground on lights can masquerade as something else.

The old Datsuns used to have that issue with their headlights and you'd see one low beam on one side look normal, but the low on the other side was only half lit, and the high on that same side was even dimmer. It was seeking a ground through the wires of the high beams.

You can also see it with cars that have "railroad signals" for brake lights, especially if they have 2 or more on each side.

Keep us posted on what youi find, please. And good hunting!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have found the 2008 Malibu LTZ fog lamps to be pretty useless (other than decorative purposes). Any other opinions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you all know I got my headlight fixed. Turns out it was a simple ground on the passenger side that caused all this. I began to think this because as I observed the headlight more detailed, the low beam was just on faintly so i began to look for a ground. I took off the top cover over the radiator and started visually before taking off the bumper cover and saw a stud on the passenger side of the radiator support and it had a wire missing. took me less then 10 minutes to find the wire, put on a new end and bolt it back on and never had to change a bulb. Thanks for you help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.