Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2016 Chevy Malibu which has been a bit to drive. But the last few weeks it has had bee nm acting up with shift to park, then loss of brake when completing a full stop. After that it started shutting off. Now it is stuck with Shift TO Park and I have almost no power brakes using the emergency in to get it home. Plus my trunk will not release either.
Shift to park
Gear on message board just blank.
No p,d,r,l even when In gear.
Loss of brakes pretty much.
Trunk is locked will not release.
And now battery needs to be charged.

Can anyone please let me know if u have had a similar issue or maybe a solution.
I want to switch the inner shifter metal button piece for a small 2 wire toggle switch just to see what it'll do after.
Please if you have any ideas or maybe experience with let me know.
Transmission shop said it was electrical. And sent me home ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
Do not drive the car in this condition. If the brakes are so bad you need the emergency brake to stop you need to park the car until you can have it diagnosed by a shop or start to troubleshoot yourself. With this particular list a dealer or shop might be best. If you want to try and fix yourself... The shop you went to diagnosed it as electrical; start with replacing the battery since it needs a charge to start anyway. A bad battery can cause a long list of problems. Then see what problems you have left and take it one problem at a time. After replacing the battery start by getting a code scan to see what fault codes you have. Make sure the scan can read all code families. Following battery replacement, if the power brakes are still limited, that is your main target issue. If the brakes are there but acting odd - loss of assist or hard pedal while the car is on - it could be the vacuum pump and that is a major issue if it breaks when it fails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you it's in no condition to drive around so I'm going to start with the battery and follow the list with the brakes as priority. I find Shift to park error storys but on there message board it displays the gear it's in and mine does not. But I'll update after battery is good and I figure out the brakes issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not drive the car in this condition. If the brakes are so bad you need the emergency brake to stop you need to park the car until you can have it diagnosed by a shop or start to troubleshoot yourself. With this particular list a dealer or shop might be best. If you want to try and fix yourself... The shop you went to diagnosed it as electrical; start with replacing the battery since it needs a charge to start anyway. A bad battery can cause a long list of problems. Then see what problems you have left and take it one problem at a time. After replacing the battery start by getting a code scan to see what fault codes you have. Make sure the scan can read all code families. Following battery replacement, if the power brakes are still limited, that is your main target issue. If the brakes are there but acting odd - loss of assist or hard pedal while the car is on - it could be the vacuum pump and that is a major issue if it breaks when it fails.
I have 2016 Chevy Malibu which has been a bit to drive. But the last few weeks it has had bee nm acting up with shift to park, then loss of brake when completing a full stop. After that it started shutting off. Now it is stuck with Shift TO Park and I have almost no power brakes using the emergency in to get it home. Plus my trunk will not release either.
Shift to park
Gear on message board just blank.
No p,d,r,l even when In gear.
Loss of brakes pretty much.
Trunk is locked will not release.
And now battery needs to be charged.

Can anyone please let me know if u have had a similar issue or maybe a solution.
I want to switch the inner shifter metal button piece for a small 2 wire toggle switch just to see what it'll do after.
Please if you have any ideas or maybe experience with let me know.
Transmission shop said it was electrical. And sent me home ?
Hi, I just had the brake vaccum pump brake on my car came off and dealer said the cam shaft metal pieces got in my oil. My car 1 week ago started make noise in engine, engine light came on, and within 1 minute car missing acting crazy and had to stop car with 2 feet on brake pedale going least 40 mile hour lucky pulled over without wrecking car then stalled never started again. Said have to have brand new engine my engine fully ruined and my car did everything yours did with just only 60,000 miles on it. It is 2018 malibu. Thank God still have extended warrenty but losing car for over 2 weeks. I think maybe there should be recall on them heard few more people like us with same problem.

I ment had 1 minute of engine noise before pulled of road fast still was to late.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,931 Posts
Another good reason to have a non-turbo engine.

Brakes and steering should be bullet-proof systems. Having a special pump that takes out an engine when it fails is a lousy design. I could design it better as a belt-driven device, and I'm not an engineer. Since this is a life-safety issue, it would be a good thing if it became a recall. But don't get your hopes up. People will have to die before anything gets done.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,536 Posts
I've seen about a dozen reports of vacuum pump failure on this forum now. That's the reason I changed mine as maintenance. $60 to patch up a pretty major possible weakness. The pumps fail from oil starvation caused by sludge buildup blocking what seems like very small oil flow ports. Mine wasn't sludgy at all because of my short oil change intervals but couldn't have known prior to removal. I wasn't saying this is one of the OP's problems for sure but it seems like a possibility as far as the brake issue.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys came to the realization it's better of with the experts that are equipped and have all the proper tools and data at there disposal. I'm in Texas in the city of San Antonio I have my car a well known electrical shop of the interstate. It's been there since Friday and now it's Monday , have not heard anything from them so I'm thinking now it could be a major issue or maybe they waiting for a part ? I will update once I receive the call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts