Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Chevy Malibu ls without abs systems installed. The car didn’t come with it. Is there any way to install it or put the system in or retrofit it somehow? If possible. Would anyone know what I would need to get it installed?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,594 Posts
I doubt that it can happen at a reasonable cost.

ABS has to cut into the braking system, so to speak, so that it can modify the amount of braking to any one wheel. It needs a speed sensor at each wheel, the ABS "brain", and a high-amperage circuit. It also should have troubleshooting built in so it can communicate to the OBD port. What all of this means is that it needs to be built into the car, rather than added on.

ABS from older cars were more mechanical in design, but I would not want to try to modify one to fit. The brakes are one of two critical systems, steering being the other, that need to be done right or not at all.

You might not like to hear my opinion, but I'd recommend finding a car with ABS and buying it to replace your 2007.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I agree with you, I hadn’t thought about the fact that communication with the obd port would be necessary. I knew about the abs system and the wheel speed sensors but wasn’t sure what more there was. I appreciate the response and I might think about selling this one soon for another one. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,545 Posts
I work on my abs with sit-ups and core exercises. ;)

Joking aside, I had no idea GM was still selling a Malibu without standard ABS in 2007.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I am wondering if its a former fleet car....real base model...window cranks the whole works

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,594 Posts
Federal mandate was to have ABS incorporated with ESC starting with 2013 model years. (In the United States, the NHTSA has mandated ABS in conjunction with Electronic Stability Control under the provisions of FMVSS 126 as of September 1, 2013. — Wikipedia)

I thought it started with the 2008 models, but my recall must be suffering.

Here's one from Texas saying pretty much the same as above: (Texas website)

I found another website that says it began with vehicles manufactured on or after 1 Sept 2000. (Cornell Law website)

If Cornell is accurate, you might call GM and demand that they finish building your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.