Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new headunit but no harnesses whatsoever. So naturally unsaid screw it and made all the connections myself. I'm 100% positive I made all the right connections but for some reason the head unit doesn't turn on. When i take off the Faceplate there's a red blinking light so I know it's at least seeing some power, but not turning on.

When I first tried to put in the head unit I blew the fuse in the car. So I replaced it but that didn't help. I also cut ALL the wires from the stock head unit. So the wires actually being used are just the 12v power, ground, switched, and the speakers. Is there some other wire necessary for it to work??

Also, maybe I'm using the wrong switched wire. The wiring diagram said the switched wire was dark green but there are two dark green wires plus the one for the speaker but I'm sure I connected the speaker wire correctly

I connected the stock head unit to the power and ground and I kinda came on but it just lit up then shut off after maybe 10 seconds

Anybody have any guesses. If you want pics I can try and take some

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
I know some radios if something happens it goes into protection until the reset button is hit, so that might be something to check. Double check the fuse in the car and the fuse in the harness to the radio if it has one. If that is all good try a different switched power.

When I did mine I did not find a switched wire on the factory harness that would work, so I ran it off the BCM with a 10 amp fuse. The only difference is I got a cheap harness instead of cutting the factory wiring. Here's the link to the how-to I did http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8141

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup what you said was right. Thank you so much, I was getting pissed about this thing. It should be Known that attaching the accessory wire to yellow wire on the fuse panel is 100% mandatory in order for an aftermarket head unit to work

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, as far as I know there is no constant +12 volts in the factory radio harness. Must get power from the fuse box

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
Yup what you said was right. Thank you so much, I was getting pissed about this thing. It should be Known that attaching the accessory wire to yellow wire on the fuse panel is 100% mandatory in order for an aftermarket head unit to work
No problem, glad to hear you got it working:). Enjoy it, I know it makes a nice difference in how the factory speakers sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.