Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help ! The radio in my 2003 Malibu will not turn off ! I turn off the engine and remove the key and the radio will continue to play. It will drain the battery and may leave me stranded.
Has any one had this happen before ?
What is the fix ?
I am on a budget and hate to go to the dealer.
Thank you very much,
Thr Hammer

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
What !I! would do is to bump the gear shift forward, and try to turn the ignition to ACC and back off.

If not, it's the ignition switch acting up (not the lock cylinder, the switch behind that!). Per Rodents, it's better to swap both the switch and the cylinder at one time.

The switch isn't that much for a DIY'er - for instance, RockAuto lists them at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1358748&parttype=4516 for as little as $37.

RwP

·
Registered
428 Posts
Is your dome light operating properly?

I had a similar problem with my old Caviler, and it turned out to be drivers door open switch had gone bad.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
If not, it's the ignition switch acting up
and it turned out to be drivers door open switch had gone bad.
On models that leave the radio on until the driver exits, either of the above could be causing the problem.

BUT......the OFF switch on the radio itself should always work to turn it off.
If it doesn't........there might be a problem in the radio itself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
make sure dome light turns on and off with the drivers door! if not it wont turn off the rap wire and will need a door pin switch

·
Registered
1 Posts
On models that leave the radio on until the driver exits, either of the above could be causing the problem.

BUT......the OFF switch on the radio itself should always work to turn it off.
If it doesn't........there might be a problem in the radio itself.
I had the same problem with My 2014 Malibu 1LT. Opening in closing the drivers door seem to have fixed it for now. I think you're correct. I think it is a door sensor going bad.

·
Registered
274 Posts
there is a cheap fix for this by controlling the power 12 v and Gnd feeding the radio using on/off switch if you have the wiring diagram for the radio or check the rear terminals for 12 v cut the wire and connect the switch in this case whatever the radio condition is out of control it will be fixed by the external switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts