Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says I have a 2018 Malibu LT
And I have no idea how to go about wiring a LOC to install an aftermarket amp for two subs I want to install in the trunk
I’ve read a few different ways and I’ve installed one on a 08’ Altima before but seeing as there are no rear deck speakers I’m kind of lost any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,434 Posts
No rear deck speakers??? Is there any car out there that doesn't come with at least 4 speakers these days???

·
Ultra Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5
2,140 Posts
No rear deck speakers??? Is there any car out there that doesn't come with at least 4 speakers these days???
@miweber929 is right on; almost all have speakers in the doors now while some add more in the pkg tray and that strange center speaker on the dash. Many modern cars are actually setting up sound to focus from the front. I have the base 6 speakers in mine and the sound in the front really isn't that bad, just adequate. If you isolate the rear door speakers the sound is unbelievably bad. Probably worse than taping a phone to each door. At first I thought maybe the rear door speakers just drove bass but they don't. It is really just mutant sound. I thought it was a problem but they all sound that bad.

The good news is everything you need for your work is in the right side of the trunk behind the liner and even the base models have the cutouts to mount modest speakers in the rear.

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
That makes sense. The speakers are no longer in the package tray (rear deck) but moved to the doors.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I disable the active noise cancellation in my 2018 chevy malibu? I have encountered this problem when I installed my sub and amp correctly and it sounds terrible because of the active noise cancellation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its been a while since ur post, but thought i would answer anyways. I have a 18 Redline Edition and just installed an amp and two 12 inch subs and installed a loc. It sounded great for a couple days but then the noise started in my subs. After a little research i found people wanting to just cut wires. Dont know bout yours but mine has about 1500 miles on it im not cuttin any wires, lol. So i finally found that if u just unplug the top plug on ur factory amp it should go away. Mine has been unplugged a week and all is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its been a while since ur post, but thought i would answer anyways. I have a 18 Redline Edition and just installed an amp and two 12 inch subs and installed a loc. It sounded great for a couple days but then the noise started in my subs. After a little research i found people wanting to just cut wires. Dont know bout yours but mine has about 1500 miles on it im not cuttin any wires, lol. So i finally found that if u just unplug the top plug on ur factory amp it should go away. Mine has been unplugged a week and all is fine.
I also have a Redline and I want to install an amp and subs. Can you tell me the steps you took? Would make things easier if someone that has already done it gave me some tips

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah sure i will help any way i can. The way i ran my power wire was up the passenger side and tucked it in the door sills. Theres a grommet under the dash behind the glove box i ran through. Then to hide it in the engine bay theres protective carpet on the firewall u can tuck it behind. I hooked up to the battery. Now in the back my power went under the back seat cushion and beside the side airbag, and into the trunk. We are pretty lucky here because everything else we need is right there behind the panel on the passenger side. Pull that panel and ur factory amp is bolted right there. Theres also a nice little cubby there for an amp and a loc, (line output converter). There are 3 plugs in ur factory amp one is for power input which is where i got my remote power for my aftermarket amp. The center plug is ur speaker input, this is where u wire in ur loc. If u have ever installed a system before it just doesn't get any easier than this Malibu. Oh one more thing i had to do and it didnt start for a few days and that is active noise cancellation, ive seen a few people just cut the wire which is purple i beleive, myself i just unplugged it and its been a couple weeks and those kicker 15s are still poundin loud and clear. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah sure i will help any way i can. The way i ran my power wire was up the passenger side and tucked it in the door sills. Theres a grommet under the dash behind the glove box i ran through. Then to hide it in the engine bay theres protective carpet on the firewall u can tuck it behind. I hooked up to the battery. Now in the back my power went under the back seat cushion and beside the side airbag, and into the trunk. We are pretty lucky here because everything else we need is right there behind the panel on the passenger side. Pull that panel and ur factory amp is bolted right there. Theres also a nice little cubby there for an amp and a loc, (line output converter). There are 3 plugs in ur factory amp one is for power input which is where i got my remote power for my aftermarket amp. The center plug is ur speaker input, this is where u wire in ur loc. If u have ever installed a system before it just doesn't get any easier than this Malibu. Oh one more thing i had to do and it didnt start for a few days and that is active noise cancellation, ive seen a few people just cut the wire which is purple i beleive, myself i just unplugged it and its been a couple weeks and those kicker 15s are still poundin loud and clear. I hope this helps.
I know I'm late to the party but just adding some info from my install yesterday.

I didn't bother with line out converters. I grabbed a good set of RCA's, snipped them, attached to the pre-amp'd speaker wires(The smaller wires), then ran directly into my aftermarket amp. I then ran speaker wire out of my aftermarket amp back to the stock speaker wire that would normally come from the chevy amp.

In other words, I just bypassed the stock amp completely and tucked it all in that nice cubby.

Why? Well, I replaced the door speakers too. Also...RCA pass through on the aftermarket 4 channel amp. (Rockford Fosgate R400-4d). So now I have regular RCA's to run out to whatever I want. In my case its a under seat sub. In someone else? 2 15's. Or whatever else they want.

My way isn't better. Just another data point on this awesome thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So just finished my install and it was the biggest pain ever. For those with the 2018 bose system you have to ignore 99% of this post. First of all the 2017 and 2018 are totally different. The 2018 with the bose has no remote wire going into the amp. You can get it from back the head unit but if you are like me and didn't want to touch the head unit you won't find a remote wire going into the amp. It uses dada signals. So you must use a LOC that has a remote signal built into it. That will control the signal off and on. Also for my model there isn't simply 1 wire to cut for the auto noise cancellation. There are 3 microphones with 2 wires each. The harness that controls this has 8 wires. 6 for the ANC and 2 others from what I can tell control the turn signal chime and the parking assist. Good news is there is a harness you can buy on Amazon for $25 bucks that actually works. It just connects the 2 wires leaving the 6 microphones off its 1000% worth the money. I called best buy, Crutchfield and my Chevy dealer and nobody had answers for me so i had to figure all this out on my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can someone help me out? I just installed my amp and subs in my 2019 Malibu LS and everything was working perfect until i got in my car and rode around, it keeps cutting on and off and it’s really annoying me. Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can someone help me out? I just installed my amp and subs in my 2019 Malibu LS and everything was working perfect until i got in my car and rode around, it keeps cutting on and off and it’️s really annoying me. Does anyone know why?
Since it's cutting back on, sounds like a minor short. Start with your remote wire. Did you use a tap or did you solder/crimp?

If it's a tap, probably your issue.

If it isn't that simple, it's still probably a short, but you will have to check all your connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So this wouldn’t have anything to do with the cars automatic turn off feature? At first it was cutting off when i came to a stop sign or red light. Now it’s just staying off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone. Newer to the audio side of low voltage. Although I'm a security and camera tech so I'm pretty familiar with low voltage. What kind of amp feature wise to do need to use for my 18 bu' I have the non Bose amp. Would like to not cut wires. And would like to keep the stock speakers for now and just a single 12 or 2 10 inch subs for now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone. Newer to the audio side of low voltage. Although I'm a security and camera tech so I'm pretty familiar with low voltage. What kind of amp feature wise to do need to use for my 18 bu' I have the non Bose amp. Would like to not cut wires. And would like to keep the stock speakers for now and just a single 12 or 2 10 inch subs for now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
Your new thread post was merged to this one. Reason: duplicated verbatim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So this wouldn’️t have anything to do with the cars automatic turn off feature? At first it was cutting off when i came to a stop sign or red light. Now it’️s just staying off
I was operating on the assumption that your remote and power wire are wired correctly...

Meaning power to battery and remote wired to either the stock remote wire or you found a "on with car" fuse to tap. Not sure why the stock remote wire wouldn't be used though.

Sorry for the delayed response, I missed the notification.

If you want to test your theory, drive around in L6 to bypass the start stop feature. The transmission will function normally but the engine won't stop and start.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts