Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I’ve been driving around in 7 and it doesn’t cut the car off when i stop. But is there always around the start to stop messing with the power to my amp? When the auto stop turns the car off the amp still works fine but when it starts back up to go it cuts it off for about 5 seconds and it’s annoying haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah I’️ve been driving around in 7 and it doesn’️t cut the car off when i stop. But is there always around the start to stop messing with the power to my amp? When the auto stop turns the car off the amp still works fine but when it starts back up to go it cuts it off for about 5 seconds and it’️s annoying haha
I installed an ultra capacitor Bank in the back right next to the amp and it solved the amp shutting off on startup except for the coldest days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A couple days late to the party but give these guys a call. They do custom harnesses and include the Malibu in with their harnesses.

lljcustoms . com

put it together in your browser. My post count isn't high enough to post links

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know I'm late to the party but just adding some info from my install yesterday.

I didn't bother with line out converters. I grabbed a good set of RCA's, snipped them, attached to the pre-amp'd speaker wires(The smaller wires), then ran directly into my aftermarket amp. I then ran speaker wire out of my aftermarket amp back to the stock speaker wire that would normally come from the chevy amp.

In other words, I just bypassed the stock amp completely and tucked it all in that nice cubby.

Why? Well, I replaced the door speakers too. Also...RCA pass through on the aftermarket 4 channel amp. (Rockford Fosgate R400-4d). So now I have regular RCA's to run out to whatever I want. In my case its a under seat sub. In someone else? 2 15's. Or whatever else they want.

My way isn't better. Just another data point on this awesome thread.
Hey, I was told that the speaker wire coming from head unit are low level inputs and that we can bypass the stock amp to an aftermarket amp. So since you did that, you have no issues right? I thought the Bluetooth and chimes are powered from the stock amp? That's why I didn't have it bypassed in my ex 2016 (now I have a 2020).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct, no issues now however many months later. I’ve taken many Bluetooth calls. All functions seem to act as they should be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So all you did is disconnect the speaker wires from stock amp and connected to your aftermarket amp and everything works from the head unit? I'm pretty sure your quality is clean as going thru the stock amp into an aftermarket amp causes distortion even with a processor like I had in my 16.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
EDIT FROM ORIGINAL POST. The Rockford Fosgate R400-4d I had initially installed was not rated for 12v input through RCA and had overload shutoff issues. See below for my current setup.

Correct. Utilizing the speaker wire directly from the head unit that goes into the amp and converting that to RCA (I simply cut RCA cables, crimped and heat shrunk, but do as you wish), you can run that directly into an amp. As long as the amp you are running to supports up to 12v input sensitivity. This is very important as many lower end amps will not accept 12v RCA in. I have the https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p600x4/.

Then simply utilize the stock speaker wire for the output as well. You will of course need to cut and extend to reach your amp that I imagine you will put behind the trunk wheel well. (Plenty of room on both passenger and driver side)

If you try to do this with an amp that only supports say... 8v input sensitivity, you will have overload issues and you amp will shut off(I know because I went cheap initially with one that only supported 8v input). You can fix this by running line out converters, but by the time you factor those in cost, tune, and time wise, just pay a little extra for the amp.

It's crystal clear, no distortion or feedback of any kind. My stock amp just sits there unplugged. The only thing I "lose" is the ambient noise microphones that GM has dealers unhook anyway because of the low RPM feedback loop.

The hardest part is just making sure you don't mix up the speaker channels.

Oh, I disconnected my A Pillar tweeters as they became heavily overpowered(too loud). One day I may do something about that. Maybe it was just a tuning issue on my end. Basically the 4 full range speakers I installed sound so great I haven't cared. Someone else may care and maybe you should run a crossover or something from your front door speaker to the A-Pillar tweeters. But I'm happy as is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Correct. Utilizing the speaker wire directly from the head unit that goes into the amp and converting that to RCA (I simply cut RCA cables, crimped and heat shrunk, but do as you wish), you can run that directly into an amp. As long as the amp you are running to supports up to 12v input sensitivity. This is very important as many lower end amps will not accept 12v RCA in. I have the https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p600x4/.

Then simply utilize the stock speaker wire for the output as well. You will of course need to cut and extend to reach your amp that I imagine you will put behind the trunk wheel well. (Plenty of room on both passenger and driver side)

If you try to do this with an amp that only supports say... 8v input sensitivity, you will have overload issues and you amp will shut off(I know because I went cheap initially with one that only supported 8v input). You can fix this by running line out converters, but by the time you factor those in cost, tune, and time wise, just pay a little extra for the amp.

It's crystal clear, no distortion or feedback of any kind. My stock amp just sits there unplugged. The only thing I "lose" is the ambient noise microphones that GM has dealers unhook anyway because of the low RPM feedback loop.

The hardest part is just making sure you don't mix up the speaker channels.

Oh, I disconnected my A Pillar tweeters as they became heavily overpowered(too loud). One day I may do something about that. Maybe it was just a tuning issue on my end. Basically the 4 full range speakers I installed sound so great I haven't cared. Someone else may care and maybe you should run a crossover or something from your front door speaker to the A-Pillar tweeters. But I'm happy as is.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I disable the active noise cancellation in my 2018 chevy malibu? I have encountered this problem when I installed my sub and amp correctly and it sounds terrible because of the active noise cancellation.
There's are purple wire on the top harness connected to the factory amp snip it and tape the ends

·
Registered
25 Posts
While it may be an "easy" fix, please don't cut wires if you don't have to. Call the folks I mentioned above (Car Audio - LLJ Customs Car Audio Fabrication L.L.C) and ask them about an ANC Bypass. It'll cost possibly less than $20 and can be removed and installed as you please without cutting things.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts