Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking to buy a brand new '09 black 1LT malibu. It's got the power package (sunroof, remote start). The GM website says a car with the same build should cost just over 25k, and the sticker for this one is $24,680.

I've never bought a new car before (21 years old) and need some advice on what kind of price I can get the dealer to offer before and incentives/rebates etc.

I test drove it last weekend and loved it. Upgrading from a 1997 pontiac grand am GT that is falling apart, to say the least.

I was looking to possibly make the purchase this weekend because I'll need to renew my current car's plates next week if I dont, and that would just be a waste of money if I'm buying a new car in the short future (which I am). Also, Cincinnati is having it's annual car show and GM is offering an extra FIVE HUNDRED dollar rebate for anyone who has a ticket stub, this weekend only.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! CANT WAIT TO DRIVE THIS BABY!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Get them to knock 1600-2000 off the sticker then take the 2500 or 2750 off for rebated and loyalty discount plus your 500 off for you auto show stub. Then ask for 3 free oil changes and 4 tanks of gas from the sales manager.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Try dealing with the Dealers Internet sales Mgr. a whole lot easier dealing on the net than with the Vultures on the lot ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get them to knock 1600-2000 off the sticker then take the 2500 or 2750 off for rebated and loyalty discount plus your 500 off for you auto show stub. Then ask for 3 free oil changes and 4 tanks of gas from the sales manager.
how would one go about asking for those things? Remember, first time buyer here. Should i just go in there and say:

"how about $2,000 off the sticker along with the rebates. oh, and while you're at it, go ahead and let me have a few oil changes and tanks of gas! :D"

It might be me just being 'shy', but if that approach works then I'm sure i can fight any temptations to be shy if it means some serious money on the line!

THANKS!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would offer them $21,680, less rebates and auto show promo. That's a $3,000 dealer discount off of the MSRP. So you'll pay $18,430 plus tax and license after the $2,750 rebate and $500 promo.

The dealer will say "that's below invoice. We're not in business to lose money." At which point you'll have to say "please let me know if you change your mind." Then watch them chase you as you walk out the door.

Chevy dealers are desparate for sales, and they'll almost certainly do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh yeah... I don't know if I would confuse the deal with oil changes and free tanks of gasoline. Most dealerships don't have a stack of gas cards lying around. Take your discount and buy your own gas and oil changes to keep the deal as straightforward as possible.

Don't worry about being shy. You are asking the right questions, and I think you are well equipped to get a good deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also tell them your not going to pay their outrageous documentation fees, Tell them $100 max. I compleatly agree with talking to their internet sales manager.

Email him this message.

Sticker $24,680
dealer knocks off -$1,800
Rebates and loyalty -$2,750
Auto show discount -$500
Documentation fees +$100
Your at $19,730 then subtract your trade. Rough trade in for that car should be an even $1,000

So your at $18,730 out the door plus tax and license.
Then tell the sales manager you want 3 oil changes and 4 free tanks of gas or your off to another dealer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have good credit tell them you wont buy unless they can give you 5.09%
Don't buy any of the crap the finance manager offers you no matter how much pressure he put on you. Smile and polity say no thanks. If he asks again laugh in his face and say no thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as an update:

I bought myself a brand new 2009 1LT, black w/ ebony interior. Power package (remote start, power seat etc) and a sunroof. MSRP was 25,200, sticker was 24,680, and my grand total out-the-door price with all taxes and fees included, was 21,150 :D

Put 85 miles on it since mid afternoon yesterday and boy does it ride nice. Thanks for all the advice everyone, it let me walk into the dealership with a little extra confidence then I otherwise would have.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just as an update:

I bought myself a brand new 2009 1LT, black w/ ebony interior. Power package (remote start, power seat etc) and a sunroof. MSRP was 25,200, sticker was 24,680, and my grand total out-the-door price with all taxes and fees included, was 21,150 :D

Put 85 miles on it since mid afternoon yesterday and boy does it ride nice. Thanks for all the advice everyone, it let me walk into the dealership with a little extra confidence then I otherwise would have.
Well that's about what most are seeing for a out the door deal at most dealers, a little over $4000.00 off the top. Not a bad deal really! Enjoy the Malibu!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Basically haggle BEFORE the the cash off and all that is added. Our salesman tried to tell us that we got 3k off the car with the trade in but all he did was give us $1500 off MSRP and 1500 for our trade in. I said BS, we want 3k for the trade in AT LEAST on top of my 1k GM loyalty. We ended up with almost another $2k off the car because he kept trying to BS me into crap.

LTZ stickered at 26,645 and we got it for approx 20.5k.

There is ALWAYS leeway with the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone, 3 days in and I can't drive it enough. If only I could give it a nice wash! When I bought it there was snow outside, and it's been below freezing since. Poor dirty car =(

Yes I traded in the ol' Grand Am. KBB says it was worth about 875, they offered me only 500. I simply said "If i can only get 500 I'll just keep it". They bumped it up to 700. I pulled out the KBB printout and said "I know it's worth more". They came back and offered 800. I accepted that offer (there was a lot of things wrong with it that a quick glance wouldn't tell you about, it was a good deal =P).

The only thing I'm annoyed about, is they put a sticker about the same size as the words MALIBU on the trunk right above the words MALIBU. A bright white sticker with their dealership name, on my black car, stands out pretty well. When I go to get my first oil change (free) i'll kindly ask them to remove it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just peal it off with your fingernail, if all the glue doesn't come off use a cotton makeup pad with a little creamy peanut butter on it. The oils in the peanut butter will breakdown the adhesive and it will come right off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thank you everyone, 3 days in and I can't drive it enough. If only I could give it a nice wash! When I bought it there was snow outside, and it's been below freezing since. Poor dirty car =(

Yes I traded in the ol' Grand Am. KBB says it was worth about 875, they offered me only 500. I simply said "If i can only get 500 I'll just keep it". They bumped it up to 700. I pulled out the KBB printout and said "I know it's worth more". They came back and offered 800. I accepted that offer (there was a lot of things wrong with it that a quick glance wouldn't tell you about, it was a good deal =P).

The only thing I'm annoyed about, is they put a sticker about the same size as the words MALIBU on the trunk right above the words MALIBU. A bright white sticker with their dealership name, on my black car, stands out pretty well. When I go to get my first oil change (free) i'll kindly ask them to remove it.
Yeah, I was able to peel my dealership sticker off with my fingernail. It was cold out and the edges were brittle so I was able to get under the edge easily and it peeled off no problemo. If that wouldn't have worked a few seconds of blasting it with a hair dryer would have probably done the trick.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cincy, were you able to see the invoice price? I'm looking to buy the exact same car and the dealer is telling me that he can't go any lower than $21,486. He says this is his invoice price. This is also before T/T/Title. $21,486 is about $600 more than what Edmunds shows the invoice to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.