Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not the slightest idea how they will be put in, got my HID set today but have no idea how they should be installed due to the DRL's. I heard there is some issue with flickering. There are some people here that installed HID's into the 08's....... a writeup would be nice :(

Help would be appreciated badly as I soooooo wanna install these right now but need to wait until someone can explain to me about this flickering and how to overcome it. Also will the car still have DRL's?????

Installed HID's in my old Sileighty (Nissan 240sx) and that was a piece of cake but this.... arrrrgh a migrane is coming up :( :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
I want to put them on mine as well, but was told that there is something with the computer that will not allow them to be switched out.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how the hell do you remove the headlights???????? I spent like an hour trying to figure this out but cant, why couldn't GM make it like by Nissan?? :(

OK! anyone wanting to fit HID's into the 08's ....be prepared for a DAMN LOAD of work. there is NO way you can reach the bulbs from on top and you will HAVE TO remove the splash shield in the inner wheel wells aswell as remove the whole front bumper. Im at the stage now that i FINALLY removed the splash shield (bloody pins that you have to pull out! and have still no access to the socket.

So far in the process I scratched my wheel! and the longer I continue with this the more I resent the engineers for SUCKING at thinking about the consumer. GRRR!!!!! *frustrated due to scratching the wheel* and I so loathe those plugs......

I'll do a writeup as soon as I finish with this crap but it's not an easy thing to do -.-ll

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not the slightest idea how they will be put in, got my HID set today but have no idea how they should be installed due to the DRL's. I heard there is some issue with flickering. There are some people here that installed HID's into the 08's....... a writeup would be nice :(

Help would be appreciated badly as I soooooo wanna install these right now but need to wait until someone can explain to me about this flickering and how to overcome it. Also will the car still have DRL's?????

Installed HID's in my old Sileighty (Nissan 240sx) and that was a piece of cake but this.... arrrrgh a migrane is coming up :( :(
here is what you need for HID's it is called "SMARTSWICTH" given that drls work off of 8volts it is not enough power to fully ignite ballast the website to order
is www.switch-smart.com purchase switch and install harness and drl's will not flicker/fade-in-out

·
Registered
81 Posts
seems like a lot of work for not a huge improvement...

i love the HID look, but i don't think it's worth all that headache, and i have a hard time beleiveing that the factory units are designed to work with HID's anyhow...

·
Registered
27 Posts
seems like a lot of work for not a huge improvement...

i love the HID look, but i don't think it's worth all that headache, and i have a hard time beleiveing that the factory units are designed to work with HID's anyhow...
yes but it is not a simple plug-n-play due to the DRL's are the low beams if the car had seperate DRL bulbs like the C/K trucks we would not having the dicussion

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
halfway through I gave up on it and brought it to the dealer..... 2 hour labour ($285) and he did not use a smartswitch, doesn't flicker or anything......

·
Registered
33 Posts
no switch needed on mine - no issues whatsoever

·
Registered
135 Posts
halfway through I gave up on it and brought it to the dealer..... 2 hour labour ($285) and he did not use a smartswitch, doesn't flicker or anything......
]

2 hours of labor = 285???? wtf????? they charge 142 an hour?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i dont like my dealer........ i just feel they like to rip ppl off -.-lll

I did the mistake of NOT getting a written quote done before hand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
]

2 hours of labor = 285???? wtf????? they charge 142 an hour?[/QUOTE

it was more like they doubled warranty time to do job.GM warranty time to replace headlamp bulb is 1.3hr so figure 2.5hrs

Here is how to do

Callout
Component Name

Preliminary Procedure
Remove the front bumper fascia. Refer to Front Bumper Fascia Replacement.

Headlamp Screw (Qty: 2)

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Tip
Secure the headlamp fasteners in sequence, as indicated.

Tighten
3 N·m (27 lb in)

Headlamp Assembly

Procedure
Pull forward on the outside edge of the headlamp in order to release the up and down locator tabs on the backside of the headlamp.
Pull forward on the top inside edge of the headlamp to release the inboard up/down locator.
Pull the headlamp assembly down.
Pull the headlamp assembly forward far enough to access the electrical connection.
Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector from the forward lamp harness connector.
Remove the headlamp assembly.
Aim the headlamps after installation. Refer to Headlamp Aiming.
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems that everyones having issues with the LT model DRL's and HIDs and no one is having issues with them with LS model. Anyone with an LS have problems with HIDS and the DRL's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.