Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 09 Imperial Blue 2LT, w/ the two-tone gray inside.

For the exterior, I will be doing chrome door handle replacements, chrome mesh grill, and painting the calipers red.

I switched my DLRs over to my parking lights and will be adding HID conversion kit for the low beam. Already installed my amp and 12" sub.

On the inside, the silver piece on the shifter, and steering wheel spokes will be painted to match the car. Same w/ the strip that starts at driver door and goes across the dash and to the passenger door.

Then, I will be converting the lights in the switches over to blue LEDs. As long as the switch doesn't have a weird coating over where the light comes through, I should be good to go. If there is a film of some sort over the switch it can change the Blue LED to a color I don't want. I already puled the dimmer switch and disassembled for a look and they are using a aqua LED.

I'll be back in a bit w/ a report on that.

Windows are getting tinted today:cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Being a GM tech and all, figure a way to disassemble the stereo/HVAC system so you can replace those lights with blue LED's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a GM tech and all, figure a way to disassemble the stereo/HVAC system so you can replace those lights with blue LED's.
Yup, I did my Corvette in Blue LEDs and a Z06 in red LEDs. I did my dads C6 in red LEDs also. That was more time comsuming then anything cause the bulbs were soldered to the board. Instead of a NEOWEDGE socket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Had some extra LEDs laying around so I did the driver door switch and the dimmer switch. Did something different for the cupholders, not sure if I will keep them like that
Sorry for the poor pic quality, LEDs in the dark are hard to shot right:eek:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mate those look AWESOME!!!!!!

Do mine? :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
That looks great... how did you do the cup holders??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you need to write a how to my friend and well some better pics lol
That looks great... how did you do the cup holders??
Well as for doing it. Its time consuming but not hard. You need to remove the switch that you want to do, say the driver door window switch. There are 2 torx holding it in place. Once out, then you need to remove the switch from the bezel. That can be done w/ a pocket screwdriver. Once you have that out, then you need to take the switch apart, again pocket screwdriver. All the switches snap together, and only go together one way. Once its apart take out the rubber buttons and you'll see the bulbs soldered to the board. Then its just a matter of unsoldering the bulb, then solder a resistor and a LED in place. Some of the items like the steering wheel controls, HVAC and radio use LEDs already. So of course on resister is needed. Then is just putting everything back together and enjoy the new look.

As for the cupholders, I installed blue LED strips under the cupholders themselves (they pull up) and then cut holes in base of the cupholders and put clear plastic inplace of the open holes.
Once I get everything down I have better pictures.

Hey Cavalier, Im in Arnold south of 255 about 8miles. If you are interested in this mod, let me know. I can hook u up. Or if you want to see them in person for yourself before u decide.:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well as for doing it. Its time consuming but not hard. You need to remove the switch that you want to do, say the driver door window switch. There are 2 torx holding it in place. Once out, then you need to remove the switch from the bezel. That can be done w/ a pocket screwdriver. Once you have that out, then you need to take the switch apart, again pocket screwdriver. All the switches snap together, and only go together one way. Once its apart take out the rubber buttons and you'll see the bulbs soldered to the board. Then its just a matter of unsoldering the bulb, then solder a resistor and a LED in place. Some of the items like the steering wheel controls, HVAC and radio use LEDs already. So of course on resister is needed. Then is just putting everything back together and enjoy the new look.

As for the cupholders, I installed blue LED strips under the cupholders themselves (they pull up) and then cut holes in base of the cupholders and put clear plastic inplace of the open holes.
Once I get everything down I have better pictures.

Hey Cavalier, Im in Arnold south of 255 about 8miles. If you are interested in this mod, let me know. I can hook u up. Or if you want to see them in person for yourself before u decide.:)
I do want to see them in person lol I work in stl during the week so it would be a short drive to arnold

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do want to see them in person lol I work in stl during the week so it would be a short drive to arnold
Where do u work? Im on a rotating 4 10 shift at my dealer, so days I work, its till 6pm. This fri, I am off. Let me know, I should have my all done by then:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I work for Bryan Cave. Main part is in met square (green top building) but I am currently in their warehouse (by union station)

Lunch Friday? ( my lunch is from 12-1)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I work for Bryan Cave. Main part is in met square (green top building) but I am currently in their warehouse (by union station)

Lunch Friday? ( my lunch is from 12-1)
I going to be wrapping up my LED swap during the day. Would after work be ok? You would head down 55south and get off a exit 189 (i think). Its the Richerardson Rd/Vogal exit. Im 2 miles after getting off the highway. Let me know if that would work for you. BTW what color is your ext. and int.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a bbq after work. that is the same exit as fortels and stuff right?

Outside is dark blue BTW inside is dark black i guess you would call it

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a bbq after work. that is the same exit as fortels and stuff right?

Outside is dark blue BTW inside is dark black i guess you would call it
Yup same exit. Home depot and target, that is it. We can try for the weekend if you want? Hows that look for you. I will be busy Sat. during the day, but that evening would work.

As for the color of ur interior any LED choise would work. White, Yellow , Green, Blue , or Red

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.