Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says I'm interested to know if there is an easy fix to leave the Low beams on with the High beams :confused:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't they already stay on? I haven't looked because I'm inside my car... but if they turn off I believe it's to protect the ballasts or wtf ever they're called from overheating?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the Low beams shut off when the high beams are activated
I know this because my low beams are the Ultra Silverstars which provide a nice white light
and the High Beams are standard Halogens producing a yellowish color
when the high beams are on they provide nice broad pattern but the lows would fill in the immediate area in front of the car
I live in the desert and the streets here have no lights so the extra light would be helpful

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ohh yeah I know what you're talking about.. they do leave quite a bit of unlit room between the car and the road..

Like I said though I think I read about it on my old Cobalt that they specifically programmed it that way so the wires don't over-heat.. I'm assuming it's the same with the rest of the Chevrolet sedans..

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge can come in and give you a solid answer

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
They stay on on my LTZ, the Fog lights turn off when you flip on the High beams and come back on when switched off ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey just to let you know I was driving and utilised my high beams and the low and high definitely stay on at the same time.. the high beam colour might just be fading out the low beam... im a little drunk right now so i may not make as much sense as i do in my head butttttttt

if your low beams are going off you may want to check the dealer

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yea... Have to agree with them... If the high beams are on... so are the low beams. At least in the new style Malibus.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Toke what year is your Malibu? On this forum unless you mention that we automatically assume it's the current-generation (2008/2009).

If yours is previous-generation then someone may be able to assist you further.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh yes my mistake
that would prolly help ... its a 2001 Malibu LS and the lows defiantly go out when the high beams are activated
also I have no Fog lights
once upon a time i saw a "widget" for sale that would would leave the lows on with highs but I cant find it now

·
Registered
493 Posts
Now I'm not sure if the module would work on the Malibu you own, but if you look in ads that are in Trucking Magazines you'll find a company that offers a module that works on full size Chevy trucks from 92 to 97 if I'm right.. Since you've replaced your low beams wit Silver Stars why didn't you replace the highs with a set as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm not sure if the module would work on the Malibu you own, but if you look in ads that are in Trucking Magazines you'll find a company that offers a module that works on full size Chevy trucks from 92 to 97 if I'm right.. Since you've replaced your low beams wit Silver Stars why didn't you replace the highs with a set as well?
$60.00 dollars a pop is why I thought there might be a shortcut with wiring

·
Registered
59 Posts
It doesn't work that way...

Low beams (like 'fog' lights) are designed to put out a wide but short light pattern. High beams (like 'driving' lights) are designed to reach out much further but only in a narrow pattern. As the driver you are to select what range you need to be able to see as you can't expect to light up everything at once!

GM wiring on these cars is somewhat unique so I suggest just springing for the better bulbs. If you REALLY want more light explore the Hella and Cibie brands for serious vision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.