Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im having some problems with my 2005 chevy Mali. The power steering assist is going out and I have contacted someone at chevy about the problem as well as had the problem diagnosed. Chevy told me that they will NOT pay to have the problem corrected, :mad: because I have went over the mileage of the so called CAPPED RECALL LETTER SAID. Well that is funny to me because by the time I received the letter I was over the mileage. What do I do? The dealership told me that it would run me $900.00 to fix the problem and ofcourse i dont have that kind of money. Im lost and in serious need of help!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
What is the mileage, if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds about right...they are only reimbursed for the service if it meets GM's guidelines. I am sorry to say this, but it sounds like the piece in mention was warrantied for a certain mileage and you're out of the warranty zone (despite there being a recall or not...if a part was warrantied at 50k miles and you went to 60k until you got a problem, then I can see their reasoning).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes im over the mileage but the lady at chevy told me that they would probably make an exception in this case because the letter was sent out so late. LMAO yea they sure did. She told me to go to the dealer and have a diag. done and if the probolem was what the letter consisted of then they would fix it. But ofcourse they are not. The mileage on the car is now 92,000 miles when i received the letter the car had 80,000 on it so i was s.o.l. from the get go. But blind eyes could see the truth here the car only has 92,000 miles on it and the man at the dealer told me that when he hooked it up to the computer several codes showed on the steering. There is no way that a car with this mileage should have that many steering problems. ya kno, it really has me down, I have been a very loyal chevy customer my whole life, my whole family drives them and my brother works for them. I promis I will never buy another one CHEVY WILL NEVER C ANOTHER DIME FROM ME. I mean u can see that this problem is definately the makers fault and they should fix it mileage or no mileage ya kno, as far as the money goes it would do nothing but make a circle right back into their pockets chevy parts, chevy dealer fixing it and right back to The Big chevy offices. Anyway thanks for your help I am stuck with this car and looks like im going to have to be on the road to saving up a thousand dollars. Thank-You and have a great day :)

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
hollieelaine, don't take it out too badly on GM/Chevy. There isn't a car manufacturer/dealership that would honor any repair on any out of warranty defect. Even on an extended warranty as is the case here.

At least give them some credit for extending the warranty once they realized there was a defect.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, when it comes to warranties I have had nothing but positive review about Chevy and GM products. My family has owned a Nissan and two Toyotas, and they refused warranty work on a fuel line because I was "over the warranty limit," but I was not. We still had a few hundred miles to go and almost a full year. After calling Toyota Service they said that they sent a message to the dealer. After some blame games and "no they did not call," we finally got frustrated and sold the car.

I have had occurrences to where I would be 2-5 thousand over the warranty mileage and dealerships would still cover me for Chevys, and with a Ford we still have, it was covered for service at 80k miles, although the warranty ran out at 50k. Only because they knew it was a manufacturer's defect.

It is just an isolated incident, no need to go against Chevy now. One bad apple should not ruin the barrel :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truitt i guess you are right on this one. but im still very upset, i always seem to get the bad apples out of the bunch lol seriously. Think im gonna buy some horses and a cart lol my luck they would die. Anyway i have been saving the money to fix it and hopefully no more problems for a while. I havent had too many problems out of it while it was warm outside, but when it gets cold it gives me hell. I have to turn the car on and off like 5 times before I can go to work and that can get really agrivating ya kno. Anyway thanks for the kind words and u have a great day.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is unfortunate that the previous owner didn't get a letter stating the steering issue so it could've been taken care of before you ever had gotten this car. As the others have said GM does have some strict guideline for their warranties but as far as standing behind them GM does a fairly good job on it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What am I missing here? Your car has 92,000 miles and requires a repair. Is that unusual for a car with about 8 years of wear on it? How many miles did you expect your car to last before you had to put $900 into it?

Let's be realistic!

·
Registered
493 Posts
What am I missing here? Your car has 92,000 miles and requires a repair. Is that unusual for a car with about 8 years of wear on it? How many miles did you expect your car to last before you had to put $900 into it?

Let's be realistic!

Her car is not 8 years old though, it's a 2005 so it's only 4 years old but it's out of the warranty period that GM has for the car, due to the mileage.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Her car is not 8 years old though, it's a 2005 so it's only 4 years old but it's out of the warranty period that GM has for the car, due to the mileage.
That's why he said 8 years of wear. 92,000 miles is what a car should have after around 8 years. Most cars get around 10-12k miles every year, 92k in 4 years is quite a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.