Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experimented with raising the tire pressure up 35psi to see if the fuel mileage increases? Any abnormal tire wear or a rougher ride?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Always. Our 2LT 4-cyl was delivered with 35 psi in January which I knew was higher, but never touched it and not an issue. They dropped them down to 30-31 when we had them rotated, but I put them right back up at the request of my mother and because we knew the difference in ride was hardly anything and it felt more stable--plus helps with efficiency a touch.

Same thing for my new G6 now with the 18" Goodyears. Came with 30-31 and I've run them anywhere from 32-35. Had a shaking problem with an unbalanced wheel and also took it back again afterwards for it, and each time was told "You CAN'T run pressure like that in those tires, blah, blah". Also blamed a rattle I had--and they fixed--on me doing this. Not so. It feels much more stable, rides little different, and doesn't look like I have flat tires.

One of the most common things on the Saturn Aura board--same car and tires--is to run 36 front, 34 rear. And though this isn't what's "recommended" (always too low), several of those people also had dealers tell them to do the same based on their experience. I like 32-33 cold so far, I think, best. But that's me, and I'm still experimenting.

I'd recommend anywhere from 32-35, and keep it at that. Don't want to go too high but 30 can be too low especially for stability, wear, and being less efficient. If anything, bump them up and try it out to see. Won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Careful raising it up to far, the TPMS sensors in the wheels will not like it, and you will start to loose traction as the PSI goes up.
Well, like I said, the 36/34 combo has been common on the Aura since it's been out, and even a few dealers recommended it. It's not 30, no, but in comparison your tires don't look flat either or mush around.

You don't want to go too high, but 32-35 is ideal from my experiences.

Curious to see what anyone else runs...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Running 32 PSI and had thought of going to 34. 30 seems low for the low profile tires. I was affraid it would be too easy to bend a rim with the pressure at 30 PSI.
My Equinox calls for 32 front and 30 rear. I run 34 front and 32 rear in it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Careful raising it up to far, the TPMS sensors in the wheels will not like it, and you will start to loose traction as the PSI goes up.
Just curious--Why would the "TPMS sensors...not like it"? Don't they just report the pressure? I mean, if they fail to operate correctly at "abnormal" pressures, what good are they?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, running the stock tires at Chevy's 30 PSI is definately putting some MPGs in the trash. You can run up to the maximum cold PSI rated on the side of the tire. The cold PSI rating accounts for warmup inflation. The tradeoff as somebody said is you are slowly decreasing the tire contact patch, potentially reducing traction in an emergency situation.

Chevy's inflation numbers are all figured for the best compromise of safety, tire wear, and efficiency.

I personally run about 32-33 cold PSI all the way around on my LS (Uniroyals rated at 35 max cold PSI). Even on 100 degree days, I've never seen anything over 36-37 PSI warm. As best I can tell, I've upped my average MPGs by .5-1 on average.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a low pressure warning come on a few weeks ago and I inflated the all the tires to 35+ psi. I have no calculated proof but the car seems to have picked up about 1 mpg. It used average high 23 mpg and now it averages high 24 mpg.

But then again the engine may have loosened up as it wears increasing the fuel mileage. This is also my wifes car and I wouldn't call her a 'consistant' driver.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i felt 35 psi was way too harsh of a ride. 28 cold brings me to about 30-31 warmed up. over inflated can be just as bad as under inflated. I d rather not suffer with the ride quality to gain 1 or 2 MPGs..

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well, at least I'm not alone. Especially compared to my--though usually great--dealer's insistence "NO MORE" than 30. Nuts. Then again, also responded to my reply that they look flat and it's mushy with "low profile tires are supposed to".

Oy. Put my 18" GY's on the G6 back to 32, which is still a bit lower than most, but heats up to about 34 and just feels and looks right enough so far. I had them higher before with nothing negative. And the Malibu is at 35 cold, as it has been for 6 months, and is perfect. Well, until it goes in for a rotation and it too comes back with flat tires under 30...

·
Registered
795 Posts
28 cold brings me to about 30-31 warmed up. ride ..
I would think 28 PSI would be too low. Remember that the tire pressure label on the door is cold tire pressure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
brought them up to 30 cold today. Although from my gauge I set them at 31 but they came up 30 on the DIC so I left them that way.

·
Registered
795 Posts
brought them up to 30 cold today. Although from my gauge I set them at 31 but they came up 30 on the DIC so I left them that way.
I have decided to go by what my DIC displays. My gauge reads 1 PSI lower than the DIC. If I want 32 to read on the DIC I read 31 on the tire gauge.
No way of knowning which is right, I just picked one as the control.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I do the same. I use the guage to make sure they're all the same, but since the DIC is what decides when they're under/overinflated, I try to get it to read the pressure I want.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wonder if there is anyway to calibrate the TPMS to your air pressure gauge....Seems kind of silly that actual tire pressure gauge readings differ from the TPMS.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I wonder if there is anyway to calibrate the TPMS to your air pressure gauge....Seems kind of silly that actual tire pressure gauge readings differ from the TPMS.
No, it is what it is. No calibration to a gauge, and the sensors themselves are already pretty dead on and all the time so.

Still check with a gauge, or most do, but from there the DIC readout should either be right on or vary maybe 1 psi if your gauge is decent.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.