Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2003 3.1L V6 malibu. Anybody on here ever hear of a contact switch going bad? Its happened to me twice now in less than a two year span. The horn would go off constantly as if you had your hand on the horn and didnt let go, when i replaced the fuse. I also know its not the relay switch in the fuse box in the engine compartment. I have taken the steering wheel cover off and found the contact switch comes out of behind the airbag. Not sure if this is something i should tackle or let the dealer do. Looking for suggestions here. I have taken the fuse out so the airbag doesnt deploy while I am working on the car.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm not sure how similar that year is to the 99+ grand am/alero but I know in those cars there was something in the turn signal stalk that had to deal with the horn. I'm not sure if that would need replaced or maybe the spring went bad in it. It's not a cheap fix either, roughtly $160 give or take. I tried replacing it in my Grand Am, but I didn't depress the pin correctly and the horn would go off every 10 seconds or so. I ended up letting the dealer replace it for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this EXACT same problem. My horn went off until it burned out... I was not around to hear it.
The dealer told me I have to replace the whole airbag unit which is like $900 new. I found a used airbag unit, hopefully the horn switch works in it!

anyway just wondering if this is something I could tackl... changing out the airbag unit. It looks to be only two bolts holding it is...

any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.