Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be having a problem with mine. I reset it with the trip when I fill-up and the DIC indicates 24.7 and when I do it manually I get 21.8.

Now the DIC in the other GM cars I've had the DIC's were within 1-1.5 mpg of my manual calculations.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but I'll give my opinion.

The DIC computes gas mileage based on the gallons used. You compute mileage based on how many gallons you pumped into the car. If you pumped in more or less than the car actually used you'll see an error.

I guess what I'm saying is you would need to start off with a topped off tank, then when you refill you would need to fill it up to exactly the same fill level to get an accurate number of gallons used.

Ray, I would try to run the calculation based on three or four tanks of gas to see if the amount of error decreases.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have noticed the DIC giving high ave mpg numbers in my LTZ. It is consistantly around 1 to 1.5 mpg too high compared with actual real mpg. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else has noticed this problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I read a review of someone getting almost 41mpg - highway only in his 08 Malibu - may have been a rental - is this possible?

·
Registered
25 Posts
1 to 1.5 MPG off is pretty accurate considering, as pizza man said, it is using exact number of gallons used and you are going off of what you pumped in. At 21 MPG range, that is as little as one gallon of gas. I wouldn't be too worried about that. As long as you consistently calculate the same thing and it consistently calculates the same thing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1 to 1.5 MPG off is pretty accurate considering, as pizza man said, it is using exact number of gallons used and you are going off of what you pumped in. At 21 MPG range, that is as little as one gallon of gas. I wouldn't be too worried about that. As long as you consistently calculate the same thing and it consistently calculates the same thing.
1-1.5 isn't bad and thats what I'vw been getting in other GM vehicles that I've owned. However, my Malibu has been nearly 4mpg off two different times.

What have others been getting on average. My wife is about 25% city and 75% hiway with her commute.

By the way chevEE that's a nice looking Camaro. I had a black 01 SS a few years ago and damn do I miss that car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After 5500 miles of driving my total average is 22.4 mpg. I keep a log book and enter the information into a spreadsheet. Now with the better weather and summer gas the average lately has been around 24 mpg with a mix of 30 city and 70 highway.

Obviously the tank error is not an issue in my case since I'm keeping track of every fill up and this DIC is not very accurate. The DIC error is surprising to me since my other vehicles that I've owned which calculated avg mpg indicated lower than the real calculated mpg. Maybe I should start tracking the DIC avg in the log also to track the error to see how much it varies.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been doing mainly 80% city and 20% highway and I'm right around 22.3 mpg according to the DIC - hopefully as I drive a bit more highway over the summer I can raise that number...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I drive 95% highway, and manually calculate and log my fuel economy. So far the worst with the LTZ has been 25.8. The best 29.8. I expect this week's tank to break 30 for the first time (just over 3000 on it now). The DIC seems a bit optimistic, at about .5 - 1.5 over. This is also consistent with all but one past GM vehicle, that one being my 07 Avalanche. It was pretty close, being .5 under to .5 over most of the time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I drive 95% highway, and manually calculate and log my fuel economy. So far the worst with the LTZ has been 25.8. The best 29.8. I expect this week's tank to break 30 for the first time (just over 3000 on it now). The DIC seems a bit optimistic, at about .5 - 1.5 over. This is also consistent with all but one past GM vehicle, that one being my 07 Avalanche. It was pretty close, being .5 under to .5 over most of the time.

This is great to know. I'm thinking about getting the LTZ but I'm a little leary about the 26 MPG highway rating. My GP is rated at 19/28 and I can get 25-26 MPG average with 75% highway/25% city driving. If I can get similar results out of the Malibu I'll be happy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is getting strange guys. I checked it again this weekend and the DIC was claiming 24.7 and I calculated 27.3. The car wasn't empty, I just topped it off since I was in town and only put in 5.6 gallons(153 miles on the trip).

I completely reset all info on the DIC everytime I fill up after I do my calculations. I reset trip A&B average mpg, average speed, everything. IMO a consistant 1 even 2 mpg high or low would be OK but a ± 3 mpg swing seems a bit excessive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is getting strange guys. I checked it again this weekend and the DIC was claiming 24.7 and I calculated 27.3. The car wasn't empty, I just topped it off since I was in town and only put in 5.6 gallons(153 miles on the trip).

I completely reset all info on the DIC everytime I fill up after I do my calculations. I reset trip A&B average mpg, average speed, everything. IMO a consistant 1 even 2 mpg high or low would be OK but a ± 3 mpg swing seems a bit excessive.
I think the average MPG shouldn't be reset. It's meant to give a long-term average. Of course, I'm only on my second fill-up (not including the free tank the dealer gave me).

At the moment my calculation for one tank for gas was 25.002 MPG, where the DIC was saying 23.4MPG.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had an 05 GTO, 07 HHR and our current 05 Silverado and all have been within 1-1.5 mpg consistantly and usually low. I figure the mileage the same exact way in this car and it's just off.

In fact I filled the truck up yesterday and calculated 18.2 mpg (406miles/22.3gallons) and the DIC was 17.4mpg average.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someone's got to do some serious testing here. Since the DIC is also giving the trip mi's either the fuel use or the distance will affect the mpg result. Do we have any professional DIC checkers in the audience???? (On second thought someone should find the guy that came up with this acronym and give him a swift v8 knock to the head.)

DrD

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just filled up half a tank this morning because gas prices hadn't gone up at one station yet...

DIC told me 24.4, when I did the math, it came out to 25.1mpg on the V6 LTZ in mixed driving :) I'd guess I'm driving 65% hwy, 35% city.

·
Registered
239 Posts

The less gas you put in, the more margin for error. Run your tank all the way down and then calculate it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.