Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any in stock Malibu Hybrids with any options. Every one that I've seen has been a base $22K model. And until today, I've only seen them in silver. Today I saw a white one on a dealer's lot.

I wonder if you can order a hybrid with options? I know it is not a full hybrid, but with gas going up a few cents every day, even +2 MPG would help.

I asked my wife why all the hybrids are base models. She thought if people were environmentally conscious, they would probably not want lots of options on their cars. She may be right, but you can get hybrids from other manufacturers with any option you want. Can you say Lexus hybrid?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
I asked my wife why all the hybrids are base models. She thought if people were environmentally conscious, they would probably not want lots of options on their cars. She may be right, but you can get hybrids from other manufacturers with any option you want. Can you say Lexus hybrid?
Maybe, some options add weight with a corresponding negative affect on gas mileage. I'm not familiar with the Malibu hybrid gas mileage vs the 4 cyl engine, but if it's not a significant difference an option or two may take away the hybid advantage.

Just an uneducated opinion. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, some options add weight with a corresponding negative affect on gas mileage. I'm not familiar with the Malibu hybrid gas mileage vs the 4 cyl engine, but if it's not a significant difference an option or two may take away the hybid advantage.

Just an uneducated opinion. :)
You may be right - I noticed the hybrid model doesn't even have a spare tire - just a can of fix-a-flat. I'm sure that is to save weight.

My family is driving up to New Hampshire in June to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday. It's about a 800 mile round trip. I'm really thinking I've got to get a Malibu by then, because the other alternative is driving the avalanche which gets a maximum of 17 MPG. And gas might be $4 a gallon by then the way things are going.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sat in a M'bu hybrid yesterday. Very plain interior.

Confirmed there is no spare and seems to be no jack either, (that I coud see) just a tire repair kit centered in the spare wheel depression. Hybrid owners might want to keep a comfortable pair of walking shoes in there.

The hybrid switch box is covered by a thick plastic cover to the side of the engine. The extra batteries are hidden at the front edge of the trunk just behind the back seats. The salesman pointed out his dealership even marked up the sticker price just due to the rarity of the model. Highway mpg is 32, only 2 mpg over the 4cyl. One bright spot - you do get a nice shiny green Hybrid emblem on the side panel, (it's likely chrome plated plastic to save a few ounces of weight.)

DrD

·
Registered
18 Posts
so, if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere the fix a flat will ruin your TPM sensors which are not covered by warranty if fix a flat is used? doesn't make sense that GM gives you something to use that voids warranty? I would think at least you would get a temp spare?

·
Registered
493 Posts
The base model is used to keep costs down. An LTZ-based hybrid would probably run mid-30k which defeats the purpose of saving money on gas.

Chevrolet's whole thought on the Hybrid malibu was to keep it in a price range to compete with other car companies choices on Hybrids. Who knows if you could even order a Hybrid with the trim level other than the base model let alone even getting one with the options you'd want. The biggest fear when Chevrolet was to bring out the Hybrid Malibu was the price, look at most other manufacturers and see how much more the price tags goes up for a Hybrid compared to it's gasoline conterpart. As more and more Hybrids come out I'm sure you'll see changes with trim levels offered. Still GM has a long way to go to perfect a Hybrid worth buying, a 2 MPG increase over a 4 cyl model is NOT much of deal but GM is still in a learning stage with Hybrids. Maybe they'll make more advances with the larger vehicles offered as a Hybrid.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Which makes no sense because the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids are both top of the line models...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Which makes no sense because the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrids are both top of the line models...

But go look at the price of thoe Tahoe/ Yukon Hybrids they are considerably higher in price and some are willing to pay for it but Chevrolet wanted to have an entry level hybrid at a more reasonable cost that buyers would consider, just look at the cost of a Prius or one of the other competitors that offer a hybrid model and you'll see these are more expensive over there non-hybrid conterparts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.