Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taking in my Malibu to get the windows tinted on Wednesday. I can't decide if I want to go with 35% or 20%. Legal limit here is 35% but I'm leaning towards 20% although am worried about getting pulled over.

Opinions?

I also want to get it all the way around the car so that it looks uniform, even though its not allowed on the front windows. What do you think? Am I just asking for trouble?

Edit: Went with 20% the whole way around.

20% all the way around.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I decided to get 20% the whole way around. Looks good and I'm happy. Now to avoid the unwanted attention....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went with the 15% all the way around. It makes the chrome stand out better. matches the paint color

·
Registered
33 Posts
I paid $240 for all five windows.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer quoted me $315 but I found a local guy who's been doing it for 20 years that did it for $180 for all 7 windows. (Everything but the windshield) :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I paid $240 for all five windows.
Correction, I forgot about the two small windows in the rear doors. So $240 for all but the windshield. The guy who did mine has also been doing it for about 25 years and only uses Llumar® high performance window film. It also came with a Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am in TX and had mine done about a week ago. I have the front 2 at the legal limit of 30% and all of the back windows at 15%. I really like the look. If anyone is in the Fort Worth Area, SunRay Tinting on 377 is where I had mine done and they did a GREAT job! Paid 215.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dealer quoted me $315 but I found a local guy who's been doing it for 20 years that did it for $180 for all 7 windows. (Everything but the windshield) :)
Bucky, I might have to get his number from you once I get my bu'. Is he located in southeast Michigan?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bucky - Looks Great...

I would also be interested to see other's who have tinting done....especially the 15% ones.

Post pic's everyone if you can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am a tint "newbie". These questions may seem simple to you experts so please don't kill me. I want some unbiased opinions rather than depending just on the guys who's business it is.

Here in Ohio I was told that the front two windows could be a max of 50% but the back windows could go as dark as I want. I want the car to look good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how dark to do the back ones?

Is there any concern about the rear window with the defroster and antenna?

Should I be concerned about the tint scratching when the windows go up and down?

The place I am looking at uses Llumar film. Is that good?

What should I ask and/or look for when I visit the tinting business?

The price I was quoted was $189 which seems in the range others have posted. They said it would take about 3 hours. Does that sound about right for a quality job?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a tint "newbie". These questions may seem simple to you experts so please don't kill me. I want some unbiased opinions rather than depending just on the guys who's business it is.

Here in Ohio I was told that the front two windows could be a max of 50% but the back windows could go as dark as I want. I want the car to look good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how dark to do the back ones?

Is there any concern about the rear window with the defroster and antenna?

Should I be concerned about the tint scratching when the windows go up and down?

The place I am looking at uses Llumar film. Is that good?

What should I ask and/or look for when I visit the tinting business?

The price I was quoted was $189 which seems in the range others have posted. They said it would take about 3 hours. Does that sound about right for a quality job?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!:D
As for your questions....
1. If you are going to a good tint shop with experience then there are no worries about the defrost and antenna. FYI... if you have the built in antenna the tint will disrupt AM radio.
2. Like above, if it is a good respectable place then you wont have to worry about the tint getting scratched as it goes up and down. The film becomes part of the window. Now, you will need to be careful not to scratch it yourself or keep from getting anything in the opening where the window is, this can scratch it.
3. I would look for experience. See how long the shop has been around and a lifetime warranty.
4. Mine took about 3 hours. If a place is doing the job right it should take up to 2.5 to 3 hours.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the comments B-RAN.:D

I talked to a couple of shops and they all said the same thing. One talked about using a metallic film but said that may interfere with the AM radio.

The shop that took the most time with me suggested that if I was going to stay with the Ohio legal limit of 50% on the front windows I probably wouldn't want to go more than the 35% range on the rear windows because darker would look quite a bit different from front to back. I'm not trying to be stealthy,I'm just looking for something that looks good and to cut down some of the sunlight and heat. Before the Malibu I owned an Ford Escape and really liked the factory tinting of those back windows. I just don't know what percentage the factory tint was.

Anybody else with thoughts?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.