Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, anybody knows how long the range of a keyfob with remote start? I was so suprised to find that it works across the enire parking lot at work. Even tried to used thought the window from the 3rd floor, but I guess it doesn't go though glass :)

Must be hard on batteries though....

·
Registered
795 Posts
I believe the range is listed at 200 feet. It will go through walls and glass. There is a new optional remote with a much longer range and more features like checking your tire pressure on the remote.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It sucks imo.

I went running at my old high school track.

And I went to start the car (remotely) because I was sweating and wanted the air ready because I know if I stop sweating and go into the car while it's hot I'd start sweating right away.

And I was only a little bit distance-wise away from it and it wouldn't let me lock it again >=|

My old car's remote had a range of like 500 feet and it was the same remote.

Obviously different things caused it to be a longer distance.

That's why I want to get the remote with the LCD screen.

If I were to do this, would I need to have my car re-programed for it?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts

There's extra modules that go along with it, and some include a different antenna, as well as programming. Hence, why it is to be a dealer installed item.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It sucks imo.

I went running at my old high school track.

And I went to start the car (remotely) because I was sweating and wanted the air ready because I know if I stop sweating and go into the car while it's hot I'd start sweating right away.

And I was only a little bit distance-wise away from it and it wouldn't let me lock it again >=|

My old car's remote had a range of like 500 feet and it was the same remote.

Obviously different things caused it to be a longer distance.

I have the two way remote on my Enclave and they are ordering the two way remote kit for my 'bu. One key fob can work 2 cars, so it will be nice to have one fob work both cars.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have always found that if you hold the fob to your chin (as in actually touch your chin with the fob held vertically), you usually get some better distance. If you don't believe me give it a try, Try locking the doors and unlocking the doors while walking away, than when you reach the point that it no longer works stop and put the fob to your chin, and keep testing, I personally find you get some pretty good distance.

Oh and Yes - People usually look at me funny in public when I do this! But who cares if the care gets warmer before I get there!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I dunno, I think it's the range is pretty long. Sure longer than on 05 Malibu and 07 Accord.
Feels longer than 200 feet, altough I haven't measured it :)

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I have always found that if you hold the fob to your chin (as in actually touch your chin with the fob held vertically), you usually get some better distance. If you don't believe me give it a try, Try locking the doors and unlocking the doors while walking away, than when you reach the point that it no longer works stop and put the fob to your chin, and keep testing, I personally find you get some pretty good distance.

Oh and Yes - People usually look at me funny in public when I do this! But who cares if the care gets warmer before I get there!
Something I've always done, with every vehicle if I'm further away than usual.

·
Registered
201 Posts

That makes sense.

I've also done the cell phone thing with another person at my car location.

I had the car remote, I went to the distance where it doesn't work.

I called the person at the location of my vehicle, I put the car remote next to the phone and locked it.

It worked :cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the two way remote on my Enclave and they are ordering the two way remote kit for my 'bu. One key fob can work 2 cars, so it will be nice to have one fob work both cars.

Do you mind telling me how much it will cost to order the new key fob and get it installed?

I'm going to be starting school soon, I would love to get this done before school :cool:

And I only have the 'Bu to do this on, not that I care.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, have you had any issues with the Enclave's installtion(sp?) of the 2 way starter? I want the 2 way starter as a convience (sp? I'm slightly mentally offset right now, so I apologize for the bad typing!) but I rather not get it if it has caused you problems. I want security!!

·
Registered
202 Posts

UHF signals travel over line-of-sight distances. (key fob is around 430MHz) so if you hold the remote over your head, you could get a better distance. Also, how you hold the remote can make a difference. The antenna inside the remote may need to be held vertical or horizontal. If I get some time at work, I'll pull out the spectrum analyzer and see what works best. So many other factors can affect the distance too: battery strength, humidity, time of day, temperature, obstructions between transmit and receive sites, ect... Knowing where the receiver is located in the car can also make a difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It was about 300 installed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also, have you had any issues with the Enclave's installtion(sp?) of the 2 way starter? I want the 2 way starter as a convience (sp? I'm slightly mentally offset right now, so I apologize for the bad typing!) but I rather not get it if it has caused you problems. I want security!!
I have had no problems, just a MAJOR increase in remote starting range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It should not matter what Chevy Dealer does it.

I don't know how hard it is to install, but I have read about people doing the installation on their own with the Enclaves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That makes sense.

I've also done the cell phone thing with another person at my car location.

I had the car remote, I went to the distance where it doesn't work.

I called the person at the location of my vehicle, I put the car remote next to the phone and locked it.

It worked :cool:
This is an urban myth and physically impossible. Keyless remotes use analog signals in the 300-400 MHz range. All modern cell phones are digital and operate in the 800-900 MHz range. If not you'd be dropping cell calls every time someone in the vicinity locked/unlocked their cars. This is tantamount to saying that you can cook a friends turkey long distance by holding your cell phone next to your microwave. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is an urban myth and physically impossible. Keyless remotes use analog signals in the 300-400 MHz range. All modern cell phones are digital and operate in the 800-900 MHz range. If not you'd be dropping cell calls every time someone in the vicinity locked/unlocked their cars. This is tantamount to saying that you can cook a friends turkey long distance by holding your cell phone next to your microwave. :D

It can't be myth, it worked :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.