Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has been asked already and if someone could point me to the right direction

i filed my 2010 malibu 2.4L flex fuel it cost me 58$ canadian at 1.15L

when i started it up it said i had 348KM to empty (it was filled as much as i could fill it)

so my question is

does this sound right ?
i was thinking maybe it should say like 550km to empty or so

car seems to be running fine but i was thinking of changing the spark plugs and the coils to see if anything changed the KM to empty

let me know what you get when you fill your car

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
The computer goes by your recent driving history to predict future mileage. Before filling up you were probably doing all city driving. Should you immediatly pull on to an interstate and cruise at a reasonably low speed, you will see the estimated distance to empty start counting up.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Two tips on fuel, first is do not fill it to the most it will take. That can force gas into the EVAP system and screw it up buy loading up the charcoal canister with fuel along with check engine lights and expensive repairs.
2nd is treat the 1/4 mark as empty. I've driven multiple vehicles for over 200k miles without ever replacing a fuel pump which is in the gas tank that depends on fuel to cool and lubricate it. Driving to E or the low fuel light starves the fuel pump shortening it's life and is the #1 reason for fuel pump failures.

Reactions: jonolach

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess it’ll be what it is then cause i don’t drive on the highway lol just city driving

thanks for the info i appreciate it
Two tips on fuel, first is do not fill it to the most it will take. That can force gas into the EVAP system and screw it up buy loading up the charcoal canister with fuel along with check engine lights and expensive repairs.
2nd is treat the 1/4 mark as empty. I've driven multiple vehicles for over 200k miles without ever replacing a fuel pump which is in the gas tank that depends on fuel to cool and lubricate it. Driving to E or the low fuel light starves the fuel pump shortening it's life and is the #1 reason for fuel pump failures.
that’sa great tip i would have never thought of that
from now on 1/4 tank i’ll start to gas up

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have remote start? Do you idle a lot? These will also TANK what the computer says for mileage, as your car is technically getting 0mpg when idling.

Also city driving is terrible for gas mileage as well. My old 2010 Malibu with the 2.4L 4-cyl engine only got like 20-21mpg because it was mainly city driving. When I was driving almost exclusively highway, best I could get was 25-26mpg.

Now I have a 2011 Malibu with the 3.6L V6 engine and I can only really manage 19.5mpg as I do mostly city driving and lots of remote start (idling) use. When doing mostly highway driving, the avg gets to about 22-23. With instant mileage though it usually seems pretty good, like 25+ most of the time. I just don't drive ONLY on the highway so my average will never really get to that.

When I fill my tank it's usually about 250-300 miles to empty because I don't really get great mileage.

Never really have gotten great mileage with Malibus as everyone claims. I wouldn't expect much honestly. I love these cars though so doesn't matter much to me.

Is it okay to just fill it till the pump auto-stops? I thought that was fine, just don't keep trying to fill it more after it stops itself. Like trying to fully top it off/get the cost to a perfectly even number how some people do. I just avoid doing that honestly and I haven't had any issues in my 3 years of owning a gen 7 Malibu.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
When it clicks off rounding it to the next dollar is OK. It's trying to get every drop in or getting another gallon or so in is what causes issues after a while.
I'm in NJ which is a no self serve gas by law. Pump operators are instructed to stop filling when it clicks off to avoid any issues on over filling or spills.

Reactions: jonolach

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have remote start? Do you idle a lot? These will also TANK what the computer says for mileage, as your car is technically getting 0mpg when idling.

Also city driving is terrible for gas mileage as well. My old 2010 Malibu with the 2.4L 4-cyl engine only got like 20-21mpg because it was mainly city driving. When I was driving almost exclusively highway, best I could get was 25-26mpg.

Now I have a 2011 Malibu with the 3.6L V6 engine and I can only really manage 19.5mpg as I do mostly city driving and lots of remote start (idling) use. When doing mostly highway driving, the avg gets to about 22-23. With instant mileage though it usually seems pretty good, like 25+ most of the time. I just don't drive ONLY on the highway so my average will never really get to that.

When I fill my tank it's usually about 250-300 miles to empty because I don't really get great mileage.

Never really have gotten great mileage with Malibus as everyone claims. I wouldn't expect much honestly. I love these cars though so doesn't matter much to me.

Is it okay to just fill it till the pump auto-stops? I thought that was fine, just don't keep trying to fill it more after it stops itself. Like trying to fully top it off/get the cost to a perfectly even number how some people do. I just avoid doing that honestly and I haven't had any issues in my 3 years of owning a gen 7 Malibu.
no remote start
no idle for long
but this is the first time i’ve filled it since i’ve owned it

so far so good i’m not complaining i like the car it’s great on gas but i thought maybe everyone would get the same km to empty

for example my old car i had a 2007 ford edge that was getting 350km to empty on a full tank

i swapped the spark plugs and it reset to 650km to empty

but makes sence that itll go with driving habits etc since i only ever do in city driving

thanks for the tips

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it clicks off rounding it to the next dollar is OK. It's trying to get every drop in or getting another gallon or so in is what causes issues after a while.
I'm in NJ which is a no self serve gas by law. Pump operators are instructed to stop filling when it clicks off to avoid any issues on over filling or spills.
that’s great to know , from now on i’m going to just fill it and when it stops that’ll be it !!! save me 10-20$ a year lol

·
Registered
10 Posts

My 2.4 Gets 30 to 31 MPG doing 65 to 70 Mph. 325 mile round trips!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
2 times I've made unusual efforts to get greater mileage:

In October 2011, it was less than 300 miles to get home when I filled up and decided to drive 60 mph. Arriving home after 234.8 miles, it had used only 6.453 gallons, which is 36.386 mpg. There weren't a lot of hills in the way, but it wasn't all flat land, either. Here's the post/thread.

In November 2012 I took a trip of about 550 miles through hills, mountains, and flat land. I filled up within half a mile of the freeway. After passing about 450 miles and running pretty close to E, I started watching signs for gas stations like a hawk. I finally eked past 500 and saw a sign, filling up at 503.5 miles and getting just over 34 mpg. (My spreadsheet with those numbers suffered a corrupt file event, but here's the thread I made right after the trip.)

·
Registered
2009 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4l
1 Posts
I have a 2009 2.4l that I recently obtained, (retiring a 2000 Malibu). This one has 61k miles, with the original plugs and coils, so I changed them last week. It just seemed to be lagging a bit, a little rough on idle, and my gas mileage was 19-20mpg. I had no codes for misfire, and the pulled plugs did not look bad. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much more responsive it was in all gears, and my mileage is now in the 27mpg range (one tank of gas checked, as well as computer). This was mainly highway driving. It appears to have made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2009 2.4l that I recently obtained, (retiring a 2000 Malibu). This one has 61k miles, with the original plugs and coils, so I changed them last week. It just seemed to be lagging a bit, a little rough on idle, and my gas mileage was 19-20mpg. I had no codes for misfire, and the pulled plugs did not look bad. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much more responsive it was in all gears, and my mileage is now in the 27mpg range (one tank of gas checked, as well as computer). This was mainly highway driving. It appears to have made a big difference for me.
i’m gonna start with changing the plugs for the heck of it (cheap option and i mean it’s not gonna hurt it) i feel that it’ll make my gas mileage a little better . keep ya updated

·
Registered
2019 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
22 Posts
What is your tank size and average MPK? Looking it up is better than basing on most added. That equation is a good base on what to expect. I have a 13 gallon tank and my MPG can vary a lot. My average calculated is tied to Trip meter A. My Estimated Range can vary between just under 500 miles to just over 600 miles.

Best at 61.1 is me Hypermiling, 51.9 is me using best driving practices and 42.9 mpg is what I get for rushing around all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
22 Posts
I like Repairman54's advice on filling. I have always filled until it clicks thinking it most accurate but something happened recently that changed that. I usually can fill 12-13 gallons and the most was 13.6 but a couple weeks ago I had to shut it off at 14.2 gallons. That does not sit well with me. Plus pumps fair better when cooled and running low is stressful. I almost forgot. How much Ethanol do you use? It makes a big difference. We have a lot of FlexFuel vehicles around here but very little Ethanol stations. Almost all gas in California is 10%

·
Registered
2010 Chevrolet Malibu
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is your tank size and average MPK? Looking it up is better than basing on most added. That equation is a good base on what to expect. I have a 13 gallon tank and my MPG can vary a lot. My average calculated is tied to Trip meter A. My Estimated Range can vary between just under 500 miles to just over 600 miles. View attachment 70641

Best at 61.1 is me Hypermiling, 51.9 is me using best driving practices and 42.9 mpg is what I get for rushing around all the time.
it shows it holds 16 gallons or about 60-61 liters of gas

when filled it shows about 358km to empty which i think is a bit low i was thinking it should show around 5-600 km to empty but someone said depends on the driving habits etc

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Estimated range readings are just that, estimated. System uses fuel tank sender for fuel level and they vary a lot on their readings, even from car to car on the same model.
What you think it should take on a refill when gauge shows half will be off quite a bit in reality for example.
Miles to amount of fuel used on a refill is the most accurate but even then there are a ton of variables outside of your control besides traffic and driving habits.
Temperature and attitude will affect mileage also along with seasonal gasoline formulations for volatility.
Ethanol blends will vary also, just because it says 10% on the pump it means up to 10% not always 10%. Even the same brand or gas station will have these variables from load to load they get delivered.
Like the old saying, YMMV. Your mileage may vary....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts