Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m getting my license in a few months and i’m interested in buying a used 2013 chevy malibu. I’m wondering what’s the most amount of miles the car would /could handle roughly. My moms 2013 hyundai elantra has 150,000 on it right now and is running good. I plan to get a new engine eventually for it, but just wondering if i get a cheap car with a lot of miles if it will be worth it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
It all depends on how good the maintenance was done on the car in it's younger days.
My old '09 Malibu went to 190k miles with me with proper care, sold it to a friend and still on the road. Put the same 190k miles on a '99 Yukon and I still saw it on the road 2 yrs. later.
But I took care of them with proper fluid changes of all the oils in it them regularly.
Buying a car with high miles needs an experienced eye to look it over to see if it looks taken care of. You can't go by just a nice wax job there are small things to look at to see how it was cared for. Even then something will break, nobody has X ray vision.
My best advice would be to bring a friend or relative who is car savvy with you and take their advice, keep emotion out of the purchase, go with logic, a pig with a tuxedo on it is still a pig.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's a really hard question to answer. A lot depends on what your definition of "how many miles can the car handle".........are talking about zero repairs or replacement parts (besides normal stuff like brakes, tires, etc...), or until the car literally falls apart and can no longer be made driveable? Can you do the work yourself or will you depend on a shop to do it? The next question is how the car was treated by the previous owner.

My '14 has just under 100k on it and bought it with 50k, but I also know the previous owner and the history of it ("normal" driving and routine maintenance performed). Repairs include all four wheel bearing hubs for the common ABS tone ring issue, and one of the variable cam timing sensors. Fortunately I do all the work myself so maybe $600 in parts but would probably be at least 4-5 times that much if I had to pay a shop. Otherwise, and knock on wood, the car runs and shifts great and everything else seems solid on it. I don't abuse it and perform regular maintenance, but also don't baby it, it sits outside, and has lived it's whole life in a state where they love to treat the roads in the winter (rust!). Don't see any reason it won't make it at least another 50k plus. A friend had one that was around an '10 with close to 200k on it and I would say it had reached it's lifespan and he just donated it to a charity (bigger tax write-off than what he could have sold it for).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts