Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I don't know if it's just me but it seems Im at the chevy dealer every week , first time was my brakes, they fixed it , second was the rear bumper part coming off from the sides , and today they had to order another pully belt for the Malibu , also I got to call again to get the rear part of the bumber fixed again its popping out agian , and also the drive seat I noticed when I was vaccuming that the foam from the seat was all over my floor, I dunno if anyone else has had this problem but its annoying and Im not a huge guy or anything and also Im noticing my heater on max it seems like its being turned down a speed or two then comes back on and does it frequently , all minor issues and the dealer fixes them well except for the bumber butt here working on it , it just seems like so many inconviences , being my first new car and all and paying the price for it and have that much go wrong with it , other than that I love the Malibu/ Chevy but this car is certainly making me thinking on a trade in or in the near future an import ..ugh

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wow... Thats a decent chunk of your cars life that it has spent back at the dealership. Mine has only gone in for the seat... 3 times though, which they finally fixed right... Lol... And for the rear bumper thing... which they havent gotten that right yet, all they did was push it in and give it back to me.. Lol... I could even see the guys hand prints on the bumper. Lol.... I could have done that...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha the hand prints , I don't know if they did that with mine I had the father go get it , always working and they close at 5 but he told him they may have to order a part , so what was wrong with your seat?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Hey I don't know if it's just me but it seems Im at the chevy dealer every week , first time was my brakes, they fixed it , second was the rear bumper part coming off from the sides , and today they had to order another pully belt for the Malibu , also I got to call again to get the rear part of the bumber fixed again its popping out agian , and also the drive seat I noticed when I was vaccuming that the foam from the seat was all over my floor, I dunno if anyone else has had this problem but its annoying and Im not a huge guy or anything and also Im noticing my heater on max it seems like its being turned down a speed or two then comes back on and does it frequently , all minor issues and the dealer fixes them well except for the bumber butt here working on it , it just seems like so many inconviences , being my first new car and all and paying the price for it and have that much go wrong with it , other than that I love the Malibu/ Chevy but this car is certainly making me thinking on a trade in or in the near future an import ..ugh
I've done several fixes myself and had one visit to the dealer...So, I can't say it's been ideal, but for a first year of the model I think it's ok.
Yours seem to be uncharacteristically problematic, so thinking about trading is understandable.

However....I've been reading up on many models, a lot of them imports, they're most definitely not without their problems too.
As a matter of fact looking at truedelta.com stats (http://www.truedelta.com, you have to be a data contributor to see the full result set) I see that 08 Malibu has a rate of 36 visits per a 100 cars per year and Accord, also early into the generation, has a rate of 30. 2008 Camry is at 46 (that is probably due to tranny problems in that generation, esp. v6 models), 09 Corolla is at 31. Looking at the whole set I see that there's not many models that are below 30.

So, I think you're dealing with an abnormality. Which is bad luck basically. Statistically the chances of a given car from any given 'benchmark' japanese manufacturer being significantly better than your car are about the same as the chances of another malibu being better than yours.

So, that was based on dry stats. Personally speaking about my 07 Accord that I had before - it was far from flawless. I have experienced a fair share of rattles that were either hard or impossible to fix. Even with those flaws I had to look at in my Bu I still prefer the Bu, because those are individual assembly errors, usually fixable. In Accord typically those were either embedded into components or due to cost cutting design decisions (thin plastics and flimsy clips, for instance) and most required a lot of ingenuity to fix of were not fixable at all. That car was very annoying.

So...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Haha the hand prints , I don't know if they did that with mine I had the father go get it , always working and they close at 5 but he told him they may have to order a part , so what was wrong with your seat?
The seat is quite the story. When I first bought the car, before it was even off of the lot, the seat didnt work, but it was in a pretty comfortable position, so I didnt bother with it for a couple of months. The fixed it... said it was nothing major... okay... that works for me. So, I never move the seat, since I am the primary driver, but the other day when I was getting my windows tinted, the guy moved my seat all the way forward and leaned it up. When he went to move it back, it stopped working. So I had a 2 hour drive with the seat all the way forward and leaning forward into the steering wheel... It was terrible... and mind you, I am 6'2"... so it was quite a ride. Lol. The worst part was... I used OnStar to see if they could help, and the guy WOULD NOT get it out of his head that there should be a lever and a small bar... so for like 30 minutes he kept going on about how I should see the bar to slide the seat back... and I kept telling him Ive worked with cars all the time, I know how to adjust a seat, they are all power seats, I even let him know that I was checking fuses, disconnecting harnesses, etc... And he just went on and on about the lever. Lol
So, it turns out the reclining motor was getting snagged on something and that was what was causing the seat to go into safety and not move at all and then blow fuses. Needless to say... the fixed it.
Long story short... It stinks to drive in the steering wheel, I can't see how the old ladies down here in Florida do it. Lol

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have NEVER had to bring mine in for service... besides the oil change but that obviously doesn't count.. I feel so lucky to have a good car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Yury I agree there are cars out there with more problems , I lucky have had minor issues , I think its more of a problem for me to get to the service dept before it opens or closes , I go to work before its open and the time im off its closed , other than that the service there is great , car is solid just those minor kinks , what they do to help me will determine what I buy in the future, but I love the car inside and out.

And Joey , that sucks haha up to the wheel jeez mwell hopefully it's all worked out now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yea, its all worked out now, and it shouldnt have any more problems. We will see how well that goes though. Lol... Other than that... No issues any time lately :) Always good.

And that reminds me... I should do the oil sometime soon. Lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
In 32000 miles the dealer has rotated the tires once and thats the only time it's been back on the lot. The tire rotation cost $20 and they washed the car so I'm really happy. I'm planning to take it back at 35k just to have them go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure every thing is OK.

So far the car and the dealership has been wonderful.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My OnStar Diagnostics Report just suggested I schedule my tire rotation.. I'm at 5,200 miles. Is this when you guys suggest? I remember when I had my Cobalt I didn't even get it until like.. 8,000-8,500?

·
Registered
313 Posts
My OnStar Diagnostics Report just suggested I schedule my tire rotation.. I'm at 5,200 miles. Is this when you guys suggest? I remember when I had my Cobalt I didn't even get it until like.. 8,000-8,500?
The manual says to do tire rotations every 5000 - 8000 miles. That's why Onstar gives a warning as you hit 5K water mark. I did mine at 6000. I don't think it makes much difference if you do it at 8 or 8.5K. My Costco tire center recommends 7500 for tire rotations.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just do it at 6000 miles...on every other oil change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In 13,000 miles i have had no problems except today when i changed the oil i found a leak underneath the car it looks like a tranny line .
So i checked it closer and sure enought one of the lines is leaking i guess i have to take it in , if it's not covered i will try and do it myself it dosnt look that hard there is a cap on each end of the line and then a clip.
i will see what happens when i call the dealer hate to bring my cars in for anything. by the way never rotated tires yet 13k they look great still.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing that kinda pisses me off is the fact I just had a Semi-Annual inspection done to the malibu and they didn't pick up on a bad belt , its a 2008 not that it has anything to do with it but I had the inspection done and it was like $80 it was a full run through of the whole car , and tire rotation etc but it didn't count as a provincial inspection which sucked to so I had to fork out another $30 for that and all that and they didn't pick up the belt and the belt was gone then too I just forgot to mention it the day I was in there.

Whats the point of all these inspections , I can understand missing things but they missed pretty much everything that was wrong and for $80?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.