Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how much these are selling for now...

I was looking at picking up at G8 GT, and these jokers are only offering $16,000 for my Malibu...

KBB shows $21K for excellent condition, $19K for just a fair condition car...

i guess these GM discounts are really screwing us on trade in values...

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Value calculators are really off, at least anytime recently.

Look on Autotrader.com & Ebay for an idea of what similar used '08 LTZ's are going for--there are quite a lot of them. I've seen them on dealer used lots, fully loaded with anywhere from 1k to 15k miles priced in the $19-22k range currently. So, figure the profit bubble below that and you'll have a better idea of value...well, relatively. It's only worth what someone will legitimately give you, in the end.

Another excellent resource is Edmunds on a thread they have for Real-World trade in values with a lot of guys from dealers who can give quick and very specific feedback on trade prices, lot resale prices, and current auction prices:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/[email protected]@

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know with the currect economic state trade in values are lower, but this car has to be able to sell for $21,500 easily...

the way i look at it, is if they want to sell their G8, they'll pony up at least $19,500 for mine... i know they throw out a number and go from there, but that was kind of insulting...

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
yeah i know with the currect economic state trade in values are lower, but this car has to be able to sell for $21,500 easily...

the way i look at it, is if they want to sell their G8, they'll pony up at least $19,500 for mine... i know they throw out a number and go from there, but that was kind of insulting...
That wouldn't seem too out of line, but post the details on that Edmunds forum and also look around locally for some other used ones, and go from there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That wouldn't seem too out of line, but post the details on that Edmunds forum and also look around locally for some other used ones, and go from there.

I agree. Right now, the trade in is not much higher than that.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well, looks like one of the biggest posters on the Edmunds board came back with an answer...

$15-16k on trade. Guess the dealer wasn't too far off, but could maybe get more somewhere, possibly. Just not likely.

I just posted a little blurb over there about mine, too, to see what my '09 has dropped to out of curiosity.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, looks like one of the biggest posters on the Edmunds board came back with an answer...

$15-16k on trade. Guess the dealer wasn't too far off, but could maybe get more somewhere, possibly. Just not likely.

I just posted a little blurb over there about mine, too, to see what my '09 has dropped to out of curiosity.

These cars are dropping in value quickly mainly due to the economic situation in the US - market adjustments are effecting everyone.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
These cars are dropping in value quickly mainly due to the economic situation in the US - market adjustments are effecting everyone.
Correct. When NOTHING new sells, it only takes so long for that to translate to used equally.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i can't take that kind of hit on this car...

i like the car, maybe i'll look into getting it lowered an inch and look into an nice little exhaust upgrade...

the G8 is a sweet ride, but not worth overpaying for due to being upside down...

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's no surprise that domestic cars continue to suffer poor resale values.

My last vehicle, an Equinox that stickered at $30,000 could be had for $10k with only 25k on the odometer.

The only way these vehicles will begin to hold value is if GM stops making too many of them. Its a supply and demand issue as well as the issue of depreciation due to poor image for many years. Also, as stated, they need to sticker the new cars closer to what they sell for. The sticker price is much higher than their worth on paper.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
well, i can't take that kind of hit on this car...

i like the car, maybe i'll look into getting it lowered an inch and look into an nice little exhaust upgrade...

the G8 is a sweet ride, but not worth overpaying for due to being upside down...
Funny you bring up the G8. When I had the repurchase offer on my G6 and was shopping for the replacement, I narrowed it to a Malibu 2LT V6 or LTZ 4-cyl OR, for various reasons, a base G8 V6. I knew the 'Bu well from our fantastic '08 and certainly had a draw in that direction, but tried all 3. Loved the look, layout, RWD, and "different-ness" of the G8, but the 'Bu won out in the end for a smoother overall feel, MUCH ritzier looking interior with color and not just black, slightly better economy, etc. The things I miss are that G8 look, RWD, and certainly still more solid tank of a feel that the Malibu doesn't match. But it's a draw, either way, in different ways, for each.

Then again, given a drivetrain issue I'm about to have to deal with on the 'Bu already...I've spent a couple of hours today online G8 "shopping". Not unexpected, just that usual I've had it a month, the grass is always greener deal.

Back to values...yeah, pretty big hit. The new Bu's were actually doing quite well there as demand was strong, fleet sales were way down from before, etc., but then the market dropped out and all slowed and dropped. If production vs. supply can get back in check when things go back up, I have no doubt the car will do well again and values should actually go back up a bit, but we'll see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i got the dealer up to $18,200 for the trade, so i'm gonna pull the trigger i think...

i keep waiting the value probably is NOT going to increase with the state of things...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.