Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was shopping around for a Malibu I found that nobody around here had exactly what I wanted. I asked the dealer that seemed the best at the time about ordering one. They told me the vehicle was fast tracked and it should be done in 4 weeks if I ordered one.

When I decided to order one the next week I believe it was the sales manager came out and told me it would be 6 to 10 weeks and that was what it was for any new vehicle being ordered. I didn't raise the fact that the other salesman told me the vehicle was fast tracked and just thought the number was probably their safe number they tell everyone. Either way it was fine.

I told the dealer to place an order for a 2LT last Thursday. The salesman said that they put the order in on Friday and that the factory would pickup the order on Tuesday and they would have a build date on Thursday (today).

I hadn't heard anything so I called back in asking for the salesman. Instead I got who I think is his boss. I identified myself and he said the order was in and it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I asked if there were any problems with the strike and he said no. I told him that I was told I would be given a build date today and he said he thought there must have been some sort of miscommunication and that they don't give dates other than the 6 to 8 week period because they won't know anything until the vehicle is built.

I have never ordered a vehicle from a dealer before. I thought I would have something more concrete than 6 to 8 weeks and I seem to be getting different estimates every time I talk to them. I would just walk away but before things started to seem funny with them I gave them a $500 deposit to order the car. Is this how I should expect things to go?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here describes the events in my order:

3/17 - ordered vehicle - Dealer indicated 5 to 8 weeks till I would receive.
3/18 - vehicle order submitted to factory [Tuesday EOB - pm]
3/25 - dealer communicated build date week of 3/31

3/29 [Sat] - I communicated to the dealer that I was concerned that the AAM strike could impact the building of the car.
3/31 am - Dealer made several calls on my behalf and communicated to me it will be built and the strike would not impact the build.

4/2 am - Dealer phoned me indicating it was built on 4/1.
4/3 pm - vehicle delivered.

You should know - I live in South Eastern Michigan[NOT Detroit]. The Lake Orion plant is within 10 miles of my dealer. The dealer is a high volume dealership that serves many GM execs [I'm not a GM employee]. While I don't think they "pulled strings" for me, I do think they know how to "get things done".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I don't have the dates in front of me, but it took approx. 2 months to get our Malibu. The dealer told me 6 weeks was average for most vehicles. I think it was a month or more before the dealer knew when the car would be made.
I have only ordered two vehicles and did not have to put down a deposit on either one.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,200 Posts
I don't have the dates in front of me, but it took approx. 2 months to get our Malibu. The dealer told me 6 weeks was average for most vehicles. I think it was a month or more before the dealer knew when the car would be made.
I have only ordered two vehicles and did not have to put down a deposit on either one.
All that I can add is my ordered Malibu took 8 weeks. I was told at the time I placed the order that GM puts a build priority on vehicles that have deposits in place before they fill orders for inventory. After about 4 weeks the dealer called to say he could no longer give a delivery estimate because there was a problem with GM falling behind with the V6 engine assembly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

So it sounds like they should at some point be able to give me a date when the vehicle is scheduled to be built.

I didn't even question the deposit. They said it was a good faith deposit. I just figured it makes sense because I'd probably want something to prove someone was serious too before I ordered a $25,000 item for them. It sounds like maybe I should have questioned it? Like I said this was the first time I have ever ordered a vehicle so I thought it was normal to request such a deposit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All that I can add is my ordered Malibu took 8 weeks. I was told at the time I placed the order that GM puts a build priority on vehicles that have deposits in place before they fill orders for inventory. After about 4 weeks the dealer called to say he could no longer give a delivery estimate because there was a problem with GM falling behind with the V6 engine assembly.
So maybe the deposit was a good thing. I ordered a 4 cyl so I shouldn't run into the 6 cyl problem then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I ordered my LTZ in November they told me 6 weeks to receive the car. I actually received the car 31 days after ordering it. They didn't require a deposit, but I've been a long time customer of the dealership.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,200 Posts
A deposit is not Required when ordering a car ;)
I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or a dealer thing, but I've always been asked to place money down when ordering. Whether or not it's required is beyond me.

My Malibu was ordered over the phone. So there was no deposit check or funds transfer of any kind. When the dealer called to come pick up the car he requested two seperate checks. One to represent the deposit, the other with the rest of my down money. This was to satisfy GM (Should they check on the dealer) that there was truly a deposit. Supposedly, GM gets upset if a dealer states the order is for a sale and turns out to be for inventory.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Supposedly, GM gets upset if a dealer states the order is for a sale and turns out to be for inventory.
Very true, my dealer also mentioned this. Seems like I did sign the order sheet.
I should mention I live in a small Mid-West town. I can test drive without taking someone with me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I got a voicemail today from the salesman and he said that production was set for April 21st and that they should have the car shortly after it is completed.

I'm trying not to get too excited about it, maybe the time will pass by quicker. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
wow i hail from canada, toronto to be precise. i ordered the car last week on monday and picked it up on the following wedesday. i suppose i got lucky and they got a dark grey lt2 with the exact options i wanted not 15 minutes after i finalized everything. the salesman actually got quite excited and told me they were just rolling my car off the truck and i could pick it up as soon as i sorted out insurance, which i did in record time :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
i guess. i had no idea there was such a long waiting period for them.
i guess dark grey lt2 with ebony interiors aren't in such high demand up here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problem Schwartz, I hope your wait isn't too long. I'm taking bets on 5 weeks.;):D
Update: The dealer called me and said that they should have it tomorrow and I should be able to pick it up Monday. :D The car was ordered April 4th so it was in the time frame they initially gave me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
9 Participants
08MalibuLeaser
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing