Oil filter wrench/pliers
jack and stands/ramps (I used ramps)

Oil:
5.5 quarts

Filter numbers:
A/C Delco PF48
Mobile 1 M1113

Draining Oil:
Under the car on the passenger side you'll find the oil plug on the back side of the oil pan. Use the 15mm wrench.

Oil filter:
Under the hood remove the intake tube that runs from the airbox (on the passenger side) to the intake on the drivers side. To remove the tube you need to loosen the clamps on either end of the tube (using screw driver). Next unplug the PCV valve on the driver side on the tube.Then remove the bolt holding it on the driver side just above the radiator using the 10mm socket. After the tube is removed the filter is much more accessible then from underneath and not near as messy. Also since the filter is screwed on at an angle you can't pre-fill it with oil. I oiled the O-ring and put about 1/4 the oil filter capacity and put it on hand tight.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Oil Change - 3.6L, V6

I wish I knew how to change my oil, but my dealer charges me $5 labor do do an oil change when I bring my own oil and filter in. For $5 I just can't be bothered to climb under the car and get dirty.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I wish I knew how to change my oil, but my dealer charges me $5 labor do do an oil change when I bring my own oil and filter in. For $5 I just can't be bothered to climb under the car and get dirty.
If that's all it cost I'd do the same thing but my wife drives 120 miles a day so I change oil every 2 months (at 5,000 miles) and we live about 15 miles from the closest dealership and about 30 from the closest one I'd trust with my car.

Pizza man,
Thanks for adding this section. I think it will be very helpful.

·
Registered
701 Posts

08LTZ - Thanks for the info great to know about having to move the intake tube, and it's always nice when you can "pre-oil" the filter.

·
Registered
74 Posts

So does your oil life resets automatically or is there something else you have to do?

·
Registered
201 Posts

good info thanks. Cant wait to change to the Mobil 1. Is it really that bad to just take the oil filter out the bottom?

·
Registered
701 Posts

cerbomark - It's not that it is bad....It is just that it is easier in this case to access it from the top.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

good info thanks. Cant wait to change to the Mobil 1. Is it really that bad to just take the oil filter out the bottom?
I took the oil filter off from the bottom so it's possible but much much easier from the top.

It was my first time removing the intake tube and it took me about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

I took the oil filter off from the bottom so it's possible but much much easier form the top.

It was my first time removing the intake tube and it took me about 2 minutes.
I removed the intake tube for my first oil change and that's the easiest way :D, thanks 08LTZ ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts

when I recieve my car dealer told me I have free oil change for 1 yr., manual is kinda confusing on the 08classic model, car was made 7-07, I had GM show me how to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have the same Problem,,with parking the My new Malibu,, I work @ circuity city You can get parking sensors for about 6o bucks all four, and spkr..but im wondering how to do a clean job

·
Registered
122 Posts

I have a question...and don't call me stupid. I have been changing oil on my vehicles for years, (self taught) but I have never pre-filled the oil filter. Is this something that should be done and what are the benefits? Do you just pour some fresh oil in the center part of the filter before oiling the seal and attaching it? Just wondering...thanks for the intake tube info, have not changed oil in the Bu yet...I used the the dealers first free change before I switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

No you don't have to, the filters are small so they fill up quickly whan you start the car.;)

·
Registered
5 Posts

How much of a mess does the oil that drans from the filter make? I see a little "spout" under the filter to route the oil away from the motor, but I was wondering how much flowed from the filter when you took it off?

Dan
2009 2LT

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

About half the oil in the filter drains out when you pull it, I like to pull the filter first with the drip pan underneath to catch the oil then drain the engine;)

·
Registered
5 Posts

I changed the oil in my 2009 2LT this evening (wanted to get Mobil 1 in it) and did something that others might find useful.

As you remove the oil filter you will have oil dripping off that little tab beneath the filter and it will splash in the catch pan. To prevent this I simply wrapped a ziplock freezer bag around the filter and tab and turned the filter inside the bag. The oil that drained out went directly into the bag as did the filter when it came off.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I changed the oil in my 2009 2LT this evening (wanted to get Mobil 1 in it) and did something that others might find useful.

As you remove the oil filter you will have oil dripping off that little tab beneath the filter and it will splash in the catch pan. To prevent this I simply wrapped a ziplock freezer bag around the filter and tab and turned the filter inside the bag. The oil that drained out went directly into the bag as did the filter when it came off.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Great idea, I hadn't thought of that. In fact I'm changing the oil tomorrow, I'll try it out.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.