Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22373

I used the link above to install the cabin air filter in my LTZ, I didnt write it but the G6 uses the same airbox as the malibu. I bought the air filter that was used in the G6 writeup and it fits perfectly, got it at walmart for around $30 part number CF10361......hope its ok to post links from other forums? CMF Edit: Approved :)

The only difference is when it comes to opening the glovebox completely. The malibu has a string attached to the right side that allows it to open slowly. When you open the glovebox you will see the hook that the string attaches to. We also have a tab at the top of the glovebox on the left. You need to slightly close the glovebox while reaching up and pulling the tab down and towards the front of the car just enough for it to clear the dash. This tab is what stops the glovebox from opening completely.

this is a photo to show the tab and the string hook:

this shows the cutting along the dotted line, I didnt cut along the top becasue I wanted to just use the plastice as the door.

heres the filter in place

and heres the door closed and I just used electrical tape to seal the door on the sides and bottom where I cut

Hope this helps some of those that want to add one, havent had a chance to drive with it yet but G6 owners had reported less dust inside the car and not as many smells coming from outside. :)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,193 Posts
I just checked my air box. I have the lines, too! Guess what I'm doing this weekend? Thanks guys — for the HowTo and the rebate link!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the rebate info!! I didnt even know hahaha. Ohh when installing the filter you need to have the "airflow" arrow thats on the side of the filter pointing down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looked at mine and saw the lines, gonna make sure I do it this week!! Thanks a lot for the info on this

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,193 Posts
Didn't get it done, but that's what happens when you're shopping for a new 64-bit computer.

·
Super Moderator
1,637 Posts
Thanks for posting this up. I have always wondered about doing it, but never followed through. If I hadn't put a bunch of money into my road bike I would have done this over the weekend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea any filter the same size should work.....I believe this filter number corraltes to the chevy cobalt so if you buy one for a cobalt it should work. :) Its great GM left the option there for us to add becasue the screen thats used to stop debris is only for big debris and with construction season startingthis fliter should come in handy haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is this really supposes to be an end-user option and/or a dealer option? Or is it just there for other cars that use the same HVAC system? Is there a specific filter model that fits exactly right? And if you cut along the lines, does the filter seal the hole well (no hissing or air leaks)?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many GM cars use the same air boxes, saves on manufactoring and designing. Other models do come from the factory with the air filter in place but to save money GM stopped installing them but the cut out is still there becasue the air box was designed in earlier years. The filter I used is a perfect fit for this air box but you need to have a door to hold the filter in, thats why when I cut my opening I did not cut the top. As for a seal I used eletrical tape on the 3 sides that I cut in order to seal the box back up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Many GM cars use the same air boxes, saves on manufactoring and designing. Other models do come from the factory with the air filter in place but to save money GM stopped installing them but the cut out is still there becasue the air box was designed in earlier years. The filter I used is a perfect fit for this air box but you need to have a door to hold the filter in, thats why when I cut my opening I did not cut the top. As for a seal I used eletrical tape on the 3 sides that I cut in order to seal the box back up.
Can we purchase the door separately from a GM dealership?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not sure, I dont believe anyone from the G6 forums found the part number yet. I looked on gmpartsdirect and this "plate" as they call it could be the door but I am not positive on that part number: 15233160
Otherwise if you can find a cobalt in the junk yard you might be able to get the door off of it

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going to see if a junk yard near me that has a cobalt, if they do I will see if the adding of the door is possible and if maybe it has a part number on it as well

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
The 2013 references the cabin filter 13271190 in the owners manual and how to get to it. I guess maybe they started putting them in the 2013 models?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im not sure, I dont believe anyone from the G6 forums found the part number yet. I looked on gmpartsdirect and this "plate" as they call it could be the door but I am not positive on that part number: 15233160
Otherwise if you can find a cobalt in the junk yard you might be able to get the door off of it
I saw the same diagram. Do you know if the filter goes in the upper assembly or the lower assembly? I'm thinking..if we know which assembly it is part of, then I can call a local Chevy dealership and ask them what other cars that exact assembly part is used in. And then maybe one of those other cars has a factory cabin air filter that is interchangeable.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would be the upper assembly....dont believe there is anything above the filter, it would be interesting if the 2013 malibus used the same box if they are getting the cabin filters.

@Jason464 You are welcome, glad to hear this could really help you out!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Amazon has the Fram filter for $20. Free shipping on purchases over $25 so I'll be adding an oil filter to my order :D

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Just confirmed our 2013 Malibu does have the cabin air filter in it from the factory. I went out and opened the glove box like the manual said and finally got the air box door open no thanks to the manual. It says there are 2 clips on each side of the door but they didn't mention the one on top that is hard to get to. I had to use a pocket knife to stick in there and pry up the clip since my hands were too big. Also the door doesn't want to open all the way since it is hitting on the left as you can see in the pic with the door open.

Here's the door closed. Not sure if the sticker with the part number will help anyone but I wanted to take a pic just in case.

Here is the door open and you can see the filter inside. Notice how the door hits on the left and won't open completely unlike the picture in the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts