Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diamond,
Excellent post and many thanks for posting the info. I bought my 2012 Malibu just this past Feb and I was sort of bummed that it did not have a cabin filter. My last car (Mazda 6) had the C-Filter, and the amount of dirt & debris in a used cabin filter was remarkable.

OK, so for the filter, I used the WIX #24882 and that filter is just a little bit too long (.19" or so?). I removed the entire plastic opening and fabricated an aluminum cover, so I was able to tighten the aluminum cover against the filter and slightly crunch the filter for a nice tight fit. I see the Fram is listed to be about .12" smaller and would probably be a better fit.

Here is a pic of my installed aluminum cover and also a drawing of the cover for those wanting to fabricate a cover. The cover has slots, rather than holes, so the two screws can be loosened for the cover to slide out of position for R&R the filter. (Use a couple of appropriate screws to hold the cover in place.)

Hope this is helpful.

Bz Joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did anyone ever get to check the Cobalt in person to see if the door would work?

Bz Joe
Could you give us (less practiced) some specifics of what/where to get the aluminum and how to cut it to shape. Also did you add anything to seal it such as weather strip or foam.
Thanks much

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diamond,
My pleasure to add something to the conversation. I really appreciate learning from others' efforts so it follows that I should share what I have learned.

Beve,

The aluminum is easy to cut- just use a hacksaw or a jigsaw or table saw. If you are more careful than I was, you'll get a straighter cut across the top.

Sealing... I didn't use anything for a seal. I back-bent the aluminum just slightly so that when I tightened it, it would press uniformly against the plenum housing. Not to say that some sealing foam wouldn't be a good idea.

Where to get the aluminum or other ideas for alternative materials... This could be a bit difficult for some people. Maybe check at Home Depot or hardware stores? Maybe, you can locate some polycarbonate (Lexan). I am lucky to have access to aluminum at work (I am in the business of designing & building custom automation machines so we work with these metals on a regular basis). There is a lot of room to use different thickness or shape of materials as well- You could also get some thicker plastic from an old toy and pop-rivet on some stiffening ribs. Or, painted steel would work, too. If you have an old desk top computer laying around, chop up the outside cover, etc. Maybe you can hack something from an old VCR, TV cabinet, speaker housing, scratched up dirt bike fender, car body part, cheezy award from work, etc. Go McGyver on it, LOL. The cover doesn't have to be very pretty and only has to plug up the hole. Plastic or aluminum are preferred to get same/closer thermal expansion when the plenum heats up or cools down.

My neighbor is the Chevy salesman. I'll have to go to the dealership and do some snooping at Cobalts and HHRs (both of these use the same filter as we are using). I have a hunch though, that IF the proper door is located, it might not be available as a separate part.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Air flows from top down. That is a good thing so that all the debris lays on the top of the filter, also the debris does not go thru the fan blades.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Did this mod earlier today. I opted to take the easy way and just cut all the sides except the top and used the plastic piece as the door. I used the FRAM CF10361 Fresh Breeze. It was a little too long, about 1/4inch, but I cut it to fit and sealed everything up with a little electrical tape. I can't wait to see if I will notice the difference over time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you to everyone here, I just installed my cabin filter last week, it was a piece of cake! I used some scrap aluminum I had laying around and made a cover plate like Bazooka Joe did, added some foam weatherstrip I had and voila!

·
Registered
123 Posts
mine has a ticking noise coming from that area. but i haven't replaced it in at least a year or two. I'm waiting until next month to see if there are any deals on a new car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2009 Malibu does not have a cabin filter. However, if you open the glove box you'll notice on the left side there is a tab that stops the glove box from opening fully. Push it so I clears the plastic side and pop down. There is a string-like thing on the right side - just cut it as it is useless and a pain to hook back up. After dropping down the box, look inside and upwards. Notice the words "cut to install filter". I cut the sides and bottom so it flips upwards. Use STP filter #CAF 1797 - fits and works very nicely. I used duct tape to seal the flap back down over the filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22373

I used the link above to install the cabin air filter in my LTZ, I didnt write it but the G6 uses the same airbox as the malibu. I bought the air filter that was used in the G6 writeup and it fits perfectly, got it at walmart for around $30 part number CF10361......hope its ok to post links from other forums? CMF Edit: Approved :)

The only difference is when it comes to opening the glovebox completely. The malibu has a string attached to the right side that allows it to open slowly. When you open the glovebox you will see the hook that the string attaches to. We also have a tab at the top of the glovebox on the left. You need to slightly close the glovebox while reaching up and pulling the tab down and towards the front of the car just enough for it to clear the dash. This tab is what stops the glovebox from opening completely.

this is a photo to show the tab and the string hook:

this shows the cutting along the dotted line, I didnt cut along the top becasue I wanted to just use the plastice as the door.

heres the filter in place

and heres the door closed and I just used electrical tape to seal the door on the sides and bottom where I cut

Hope this helps some of those that want to add one, havent had a chance to drive with it yet but G6 owners had reported less dust inside the car and not as many smells coming from outside. :)

May I ask what you used to cut along the line?

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
I just tried this out myself today as I'm having a terrible problem with dust in the car. No matter how much I dust and vacuum, I'd have dust flying all over. So while lurking around here, I stumbled upon this and decided to try it out. It's not *that* hard to do as long as you have some good tools and patience. I just ended up breaking the whole thing off in chunks and now I just use a big piece of duct tape to cover the hole and to hold the filter in place but I can already smell the difference having the filter in place and I hope that using the recirculation setting will eventually help filter some of the air and get rid of some of that dumb dust!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,193 Posts
Just remember that using Recirc also engages the AC, even though the light does not illuminate!

I just might have to try cutting out my "door" and adding a filter this week.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
Just remember that using Recirc also engages the AC, even though the light does not illuminate!

I just might have to try cutting out my "door" and adding a filter this week.
Really? I didn't know that. Although it doesn't really bother me if it does. Does this apply to both LT/LS and LTZ models?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts