Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,192 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, it applies to any model that has AC.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
I think you're right, as I've been paying closer attention and it really smells like the A/C gets activated even if it's not physically on. But I can say already that the dust has been cut down a lot after adding the filter in and running it on recirculate the past week.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
So, this is an update to show how my cabin air filter mod has been working out. And let me say, any non-believers, this outta make you into a believer that this mod is important and necessary, especially if you or your loved ones who ride in your Malibu suffer from allergies.

There was also a lot of yellow in it and we had a really bad pollen season this year so I'm sure it captured quite a bit of that stuff as well. So hopefully this is proof that this is an important mod to make, and so simple and cheap to do!

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see that Photobucket has gone snooty on us and the pics are no longer shown.

Here is the pic of my new cover installed and a print w/ dimensions for fabrication.

As to the five year report- The mod works great. As other members have posted, the filter collects an impressive amount of debris.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
Love that drawing! Takes me back to 9th grade when my first period was Drafting.

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
I just ordered 2 filters from Rock Auto that supposedly cross over from the CF10361. The "private label" filters with charcoal and baking soda were $3.50 each compared to over $17 for the Fram version. Shipping was an additional $5, and even with tax the 2 were less than $13.00!

Once I receive them I'll set aside some time to finally make this modification and report back how it goes. I'm hoping for good stuff! :)

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
You'll be shocked, I'm sure! The non-Fram version ones seem to work just as well. I don't notice anything special about them that have the baking soda in them and they're really expensive. I bought a charcoal one on eBay for a huge fraction of the price and it worked out great! It catches the dust and especially in the spring, the pollen. I thought I posted a picture on here somewhere that I had filtered out a ton of pollen since there was a lot of yellow strips in between the lines.

Share with us your experiences when you finally do the mod. I personally think it was worth it and I always highly recommended it. Get yourself a nice tile cutter and that should pretty much be all you need to do in order to cut the flap out. I just use a nice piece of duct tape to cover the hole once the filter is installed.

·
Super Moderator
728 Posts
Just remember that using Recirc also engages the AC, even though the light does not illuminate!
Using my Tech 2, I can finally lay this to rest. Yes, it does engage the AC. The AC also engages when you put the selector on the windshield. But that doesn't apply to just the Malibu but also just about any GM car I imagine, even the Impala. I tested it out and for sure it does engage the AC.

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
I just used my earball with the hood up and my palms in front of the vents. When you put it on windshield defog or half-way between that and floor, the AC runs. When you use Recirc, the AC runs. You can hear the clutch kick in and then you feel the air get colder.

Fords have used the same method for decades, and I'm sure that every other marque with AC does as well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Did mine today. This is the best value mod and easiest one I have ever experienced with. Should have done it long time ago. Recommend to put it in the Sticky area. So everyone can quickly see it.
I tried to leave the top but it did not work because my plastic box was thick and hard. It got broken when I bent it up. I ended up cut the the whole area, then seal it with HVAC Aluminum tape. Works great so far!

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
Just did mine. Took less than an hour including taking pictures. Got scratches on one hand but nothing that won't heal, and not bad enough to impress anyone. ;)

Started by removing the glove box door, which just unsnaps from the hinges. I left the string/retractor attached and just turned it sideways out of the way.

Started a cut along the bottom, continued it all the way across, then the top most of the way, at which point I was struggling with that little piece that has some strength to it when the large part snapped inward, hanging by the vertical part on the left. I continued to remove the last bit on the right, then pulled the large piece on the left out and discovered that a third piece broke off and is inside the housing. I couldn't hear it when I tested it, but maybe it'll bump around someday and make noise. Oh well!

Looking into the opening I could see a screen where some leaves are being prevented from entering the cavity. I'll have to someday vacuum them out from the cowling area. In these pics you can see that there's a molded pathway for the filter and it fits perfectly. They just didn't follow through and left it up to owners to decide if they wanted to participate in building the vehicle the way it should have been built. LOL

The air flow is down. A pic shows the end of the filter indicating the direction to install it. That end goes into the channels. The filter goes almost all the way in with only a tiny little bit extending past the opening. I used aluminum HVAC tape to seal it.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Great pics. Now I know the whole glove box can come out!
We should try to take picture inside that filter box some time. If you look straight to the open, you should see a screen where the outside air coming. I see debris blocking part of it and should have tried to blow them off before put in the air filter.
I also put my hand inside, touching the upper of the blower fan. Appear there is a thin foam filter there

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
I put my hand inside as well and found no foam. I didn't think the blower fins were up so high and it was spinning when I did, so I have a cut on one finger as a result. (That means not to do it that way for anyone else who comes along! ;)) That foam may be something that needs to come out, or else mine is missing it... :confused:

I, too, saw the screen, but when I took pictures of the opening, it was not in them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here are inside the box. You are right: no foam filter in the bottom, just the blower wide open with its blades, but there is foam in the upper. Lucky you still have your finger!

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
Thanks for those pics!

It looks like the foam is on the door/flapper. If so, maybe that's to help reduce noises or some other function.

Yeah, my finger is still healing. Thankfully, I'm still able to type as that's a large function of my daily job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the mod and left the hinge at the top as well, to help keep airflow directed downwards and in as it gets pushed from above. Since I had such close access to the evaporator, I also snuck a can of Lysol aerosol spray up against the filter opening, directed it right at the fan as I had my AC on full blast, and managed to get rid of the sour vinegar smell coming from my AC. I then angled it every which way I could and sprayed all over the inside of the ducting that I could reach. This allowed me to kill just about every bit of mold and bacteria growing on the evaporator and inside the vents.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts