Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I forget to unplug and turn off my heated seat cover and my battery died. I also have a dashcam and it is annoying to unplug every time and sometimes I often forget to unplug it.
I've 2011 chevy malibu LS. No sunroof.
I already a few posts but there is no easy way to fix it. Especially rear cigarette lighter .
I was wondering if I just change Auxilliary power outlet(fuse #20) to plug it sunroof's fuse (fuse #10).
Does anyone try it yet?
Does it going to stop supplying the power to the cigarette lighter if I change the cigarette lighter fuse #20 to new fuse #10?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question, so let me see if I can rephrase it and tell me if I understand you correctly.

You want to move the 20A fuse (in the trunk fuse panel) for the 12V outlet (aka, cigarette lighter outlet) from its current location as Fuse #20 and put it into the location where Fuse #10 protects the Sunroof? If that's what you want then you need to know that both of those fuses are powered at all times.

If what you want is to be able to have a 12V outlet that turns on and off with the key then you'll need to do a small amount of wiring. What I did to my 2011 was to find a fuse like that and have it operate a relay. The relay contacts are separately fused and have an accessory 12V outlet connected. My Garmin is plugged into it and saves me from having to turn it on and off manually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, exactly what you said. So, it won't work.
Can you explain me a little bit more widely how you turn on and off with the key?

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I used a device called "Add-A-Circuit". You remove a fuse, plug it in, and it allows you to keep the original circuit fused plus it has a wire coming off of it so you can route it to a new circuit.

I plugged my "Add-A-Circuit" into a fuse that turns on with the key, then ran its wire to the coil of a relay and grounded the other side of the coil. Then I spliced into the battery wire to add a fuse holder with a 20A fuse, attached that to the COM terminal of that relay, the NO terminal to the 12V outlet, and grounded the 12V outlet.

Easy-peasy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
DrivenDaily
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing