Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gm engineers with their infinate wisdom decided not to accomadate a space for a block heater cord for this new malibu. There is almost no place to snake the cord past the rad condensor n fan assembly ect to get past the grill for it to be plugged in.

I have found a way to do this without drilling or disassembly.

Open hood

Look directly under the top of the rad support on either side of the hood latch, You will see some rubber flaps or slits.They are very small and difficult to see.

The block heater cord is coiled up on the passenger side close to the top of the fender.

Uncoil it.

Use a piece of mechanical wire and snake it through the a rubber slit through to the outside of the grill.

Tie the other end of the wire to the male end of the block heater cord.

Using your fingers start guiding the block heater cord through the rubber slit use your other hand to pull on the mechanics wire to guide it through to the back of the grill.

Its really tight. some pressure is required. Be gentle when u pull the male end of the block heater through a space in the grill. The grill is brittle.

Once it is through, take off the mechanics wire.

Just about done.
Use some zip ties to fasten the block heater cord to the grill and along the top by the rubber slits being carefull not to place the heater cord anywhere it can be damaged.

Done!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,042 Posts
This is good information, and thanks for taking the time to share it!

If you can add some pictures when there is sufficient light to take them, that would be even better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a block heater on my old 2017 with the factory wind up next to the airbox. In the instructions it shows you to run the plug down and in the front passenger side of the front bumper there is a clip to secure it just inside the front bumper to protect it from damage. You just reach up, unclip the plug, plug in your extension. When done unplug extension cord and clip the plug back up under the bumper to prevent damage. It is a little bit of a pain having to bend down and plug it in but easier than popping the hood every time. Maybe they got rid of this on the 2021?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a block heater on my old 2017 with the factory wind up next to the airbox. In the instructions it shows you to run the plug down and in the front passenger side of the front bumper there is a clip to secure it just inside the front bumper to protect it from damage. You just reach up, unclip the plug, plug in your extension. When done unplug extension cord and clip the plug back up under the bumper to prevent damage. It is a little bit of a pain having to bend down and plug it in but easier than popping the hood every time. Maybe they got rid of this on the 2021?
Thx for posting that info. I'm certain it will help others.

I searched the the entire engine bay both upper and lower for just such an advantage for the cord. The Bumper assembly on the 2021 malibu is completely enclosed in plastic moulding fastened with tiny bolts. I removed all these bolts and gently pulled down on the plastic and could not see daylight.

The only thing that is accessable is the oil pan and oil filter.

It's almost like GM is trying to completely create a sealed or airtight engine compartment.

The owners manual does say to open the hood and
plug in the block heater.
Which only operates at -18 degrees celcius, by the way.

This also defeats the remote start option most newer vehicles now have. Will not start remotely with the hood up.

Yes. I'm very sure the cord system that you mentioned was done away with over the years. Unfortunately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts