Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, I just did this mod on my car today and I must say: I LOVE IT! Thanks a ton for work up on this. I had already taken my door panels off and ran wires from the door to the inside when I put in my new component speakers, so that part was a breeze for me. I probably would have never came up with this mod to begin with and it was very helpful to know what wires to hook into to make the lights work correctly. I am looking forward to your work up on the auto up/down windows that you keep talking about now. I could probably figure that out myself too, but you seem to be on your game Dailydriven, so I will probably wait for your work up and let you do the hard part for me. Again though, great job and anyone thinking about doing this - do it! Took me about 3-4 hours and one of my favorite mods ever!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks Daily! I should pick up a butane soldering iron. I had one that was battery powered for some other head unit install and it was a piece (as you would expect...really batteries driving a soldering iron??).

With your writeup and a little more time this evening I was able to 'practice', getting the door off and investigating and it didn't take long. I had trouble though with the latch cable. That is the only thing standing in my way and doing this mod! I looked, twisted the door around to get a better look, but I was unable to find a way to detach the cable. I am sure I could figure it out with a unobstructed look to check it out, but those are never present with cars. The latch cable has too little slack to simply leave the rest of the door attached. care to help a follower out?
Getting the cable off is actually quite easy. There is a black plastic almost bullet shaped clip close to where the ball at the end of the cable is. All you have to do is turn that plastic piece so that you can push the 2 tabs on each side of it (the bullet shaped piece) with needle nose pliers and then push it in the opposite direction of the ball at the end of the cable. Then you can remove the entire cable from the panel, extremely easy to do. Here is a couple of pics of that black plastic piece:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks again DrivenDaily! This mod is great. Looks pretty good. I only have one thing to adjust. The right light seems to be hidden behind the mirror housing when viewed from behind the car or from where the other driver would be looking at my car.

View from behind. Notice the right edge of the right mirror is hidden.

View from the other drivers perspective.

It looks pretty sweet when you're inside the car though.

The left side looks a little dimmer along the outside edge, however it isn't horrible.

I have to decide weather or not I really care that it looks funny for the other driver and what to do about it, move the strip within the housing or consider thinning the strip and mounting it to the actual mirror rather than the housing.

Thanks again and I hope this makes the time you spent writing the how-to more worthwhile.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I took a pic of my drivers mirror. Bconway6, looks good, but I chose not to use the whole light strip. The lights are very bright especially at night, and a little distracting, so I am happy with what I did. If anyone else does this, just remember that. They are fine in the daytime but very bright at night so consider how much of the strip you actually want to add.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks again DrivenDaily! This mod is great. Looks pretty good. I only have one thing to adjust. The right light seems to be hidden behind the mirror housing when viewed from behind the car or from where the other driver would be looking at my car.

It looks pretty sweet when you're inside the car though.

The left side looks a little dimmer along the outside edge, however it isn't horrible.

I have to decide weather or not I really care that it looks funny for the other driver and what to do about it, move the strip within the housing or consider thinning the strip and mounting it to the actual mirror rather than the housing.

Thanks again and I hope this makes the time you spent writing the how-to more worthwhile.
It really does! Thanks! And it looks sweet, too! If you want to adjust the right mirror, see about popping the glass off while the housing is still on the car. If you're careful you should be able to do it that way and save a lot of time.

And thanks for helping with the method to remove the door pull cable!

Again, yep, feels real good that others are using this and liking it.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Welcome to the club fest702! Its cool that others are doing this mod too, by far my favorite mod since I've done it on the Bu, my Silverado and my cousin's Silverado too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
disclaimer: making myself look like an idiot is something i can deal with as long as i get it correct...

i purchased an led strip and it has the negative (-) and positive (+) wire leads, should these be soldered or spliced into the same blinker wire and at the same spot? thanks!!
Any pictures of getting into the BCM?

·
Administrator
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The (-) goes to ground, the (+) goes to the wire that also goes to the turn signal.

To access the BCM pull the side panel from the right front center console.

Don't worry about the idiot thing - we've all been there! ;)

·
Administrator
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
When I finally decide to bite the bullet and move my PIAA fog/driving lights from the bottom grille opening to one of the upper ones, I'll try to remember to take pictures for everyone (read "you"). Sounds like a good idea to have different How-To's for everyone to use.

·
Administrator
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm not "bro" but I'll answer with a question: You're trying to run a power wire for what?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm curious DD, have you had any of your leds burn out yet? I have bought 2 sets of those leds from Auto Zone, but white in color that i put in the headlights of my grand prix, and both of them had leds burn out within months.

·
Administrator
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I no longer have the car, but while I had it one of the individual LEDs on the right side started flaking out. I guess that's the con to having them all in one nice package. The whole thing works only if all of them work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haev had a set of amber LED strips in my mirrors for over a year. The left one is fine, however the right one has had some trouble. It seems where the LED strip makes the bend at the bottom of the mirror to wrap up the outside it causes some stress. From that inflection point towards the tail of the LED strip it is intermittent. Fortunately, the break being where it is it doesn't look too bad in either situation. Especially considering the other drivers on the road don't know the LED strip goes along the bottom of the mirror as well. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the description! I'm always looking for inexpensive mods that I can do to make my car stand out that much more! I've been getting nothing but compliments and even been asked to do other cars like this (not Malibu's though)! Thanks again!

·
Administrator
20,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Cool pic! Glad you and others like the mod. And you can do it just about any way you like so you're not stuck with one way.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.