Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Non-O,

You might want to be careful with the color you chose for your mirror strips. I could be wrong, but I believe it is technically illegal to have white lights facing backwards, unless the car is in reverse. Might want to check up on the laws where you are, especially if you do the kits for anyone else. Wouldn't want them coming back to you with a ticket eh? Just a little caution, though the white ones in your picture look sweet!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Non-O,

You might want to be careful with the color you chose for your mirror strips. I could be wrong, but I believe it is technically illegal to have white lights facing backwards, unless the car is in reverse. Might want to check up on the laws where you are, especially if you do the kits for anyone else. Wouldn't want them coming back to you with a ticket eh? Just a little caution, though the white ones in your picture look sweet!
Thanks for the look...I'm somewhat stubborn and hard headed...so I don't think I'll be changing them! LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a great post for tearing apart a front door. In my opinion they should have it stickied to this category. Who ever created it I thank you, it served me well for replacing the door actuator today and it would have taken me twice as long without this tutorial.

Cartfan

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks for the kudos! :) Glad it helped, too.

A few other members have been referred to this thread for just the door panel removal portion. As you can see from my sigpic I've traded the black '09 for a red '11, but it all still works the same. ;)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
How in the #$%^ did you guys get wire through the door grommet/hose? Mine is sealed to the wire harness o_< I need to fish speaker wire through there and I haven't the faintest idea how I'm going to do it..

SOMEBODY HALP! .. I don't want to butcher it by cutting the grommet but idk

Edit: It's a 2011 LS

CMF Edit: Language removed...

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Remove the end from the door and then peel back the cover, fish the wire in and then do the same to the other end. Just be careful when putting the wire through that you don't poke a hole in the cover.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I liked my language, I thought it eloquently transcribed my feelings of inadequacy to fish wire through a door grommet. Thanks for the tip though. I did that on my truck and had a hell of a time getting the rubber gasket back on the cover, is that not an issue in this application or does it just pry back on with a trim removal tool?

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
First peel back the rubber outer liner, then find where you can use a small screwdriver or pointy thing to depress the clip that holds it to the door or chassis. Once released the rest is child's play.

Ahem, a poem...

I found your eloquence dashing;
Your thoughts were from the hip.
So to keep my teeth from gnashing
I gave them a little snip.

Although the term's familiar
Amongst seamen the world around,
We find it quite peculiar
Since it's rarely here e'er found.

So pardon our old fashion
In modifying your style.
We've no need for turning ashen
Or for taking it to trial.

We'll leave it changed forever
And hope ne'er to see it again.
And try not to be clever
Or I'll show you my disdain.

;)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Yer a true poet sir! http://i.imgur.com/JSBTl.gif

I'll be trying again on Friday, I'll let you know how well it goes.

In other news I did manage to reappropriate both factory locations with aftermarket speakers successfully. Did both tweeters today and I must say I'm quite pleased with myself. Everything is going so well except for this speaker wire abortion, but I suppose they can't all be winners.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I slacked off until today.. (Blame Christmas break) .. BUT SUCCESS! SUUUUCCCCESSSSS. Yay. Ended up having to carve a bit of the plastic that the rubber gasket goes around so the wire would pass around where it seals to the frame but everything is fished and re-sealed, looks factory. Thanks for the help DD. Tis much appreciated.

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Will we be getting some pics? Or a video??? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey. Really nice How-To section. Though I got those LED blinkers which go behind the side mirror. Any tips how to install them with the plastic frame behind the mirror?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I have had my eye this mod for quite some time now, but kept putting it off because I planned to combine it with replacing my front speakers. Anyway I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the project since I've been off work for Thanksgiving and had some time.

I have to say I am very pleased with the outcome! I read a few comments about how bright the lights are, but I am still shocked by how bright they are at night! I decided to go all the way around the mirror to satisfy my OCD. lol!

Thanks DrivenDaily for this idea and thorough How-To! It saved me a lot of time not having to figure out how to take things apart!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you, DrivenDaily, for this "how to" post. I didn't do the mirror conversion, but needed to replace my driver side view mirror. Your pictures & step by step instructions made the job easy and probably saved me from damaging my door panel.

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
DrivenDaily,

Pictures decided not to play well.
Yeah, PhotoBucket changed its policies. I will see about updating it when I have time...

·
Administrator
20,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
DrivenDaily,

Pictures decided not to play well.
Yeah, PhotoBucket changed its policies. I will see about updating it when I have time...
All of my images have been replaced so that you can see them. I also re-linked the schematics.

As a bonus, here is one of the images I took during the August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse. I was in Shawnee National Forest at Lake Glendale. Taken with a Nikon 600mm f/5.6 lens on a Nikon D600 (full-frame), using a Baader filter. (Yes, those are sunspots behind the clouds!)

Attachments

61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.