Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I re-painted the bowtie located on the front end of the Bu, after running the car through an automatic wash (I never like to:() it ruined the paint on it and it was time to fix it. Here is my How-To for anyone interested.

I ran to my local auto-parts to purchase the paint and some clear coat. This is what I found and bought.

Here is what it looked like before (yes I know the car is dirty, if your is too then leave it like that for now).

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: How-To Paint to match your bowties

First step:

Clean up the area as best as you can, you will be masking off the area and you want it to be as clean as possible so it adheres well.

After it is cleaned, mask off all of the chrome trim as well as some of the painted area around. You need to to this to protect it from being scratched/scuffed/damaged when sanding the "gold" area.

Second Step:

With 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper you need to sand the emblem to prep it for paint. This helps with the adhesion of the paint to plastic without the use of a adhesion promoter. Dip the sandpaper in a small bucket/dish with water often, trying to keep it wet at all times when sanding.

I had to sand off the old paint (much more work!), this took me about 10-15 minutes. You should take less than half of that.

Third Step:

Remove the masking tape (wet tape will not work well when painting, bad idea to leave it) and clean up the area as best as you can. Mask sure there is no water in the grooves and everything is clean and dry.

Re-mask around the bowtie and the majority of the front end of the car.

Step Four:

Paint the emblem. Try and shoot light coats (wet coats but nice and light so that the paint won't run) a few minutes apart from each other.

Here is the first coat.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Step Four continued:

My third coat of paint.

Step five:

Once you have achieved the amount of coverage of paint needed to cover the emblem you may spray on the clearcoat. Spray it the same way you spray the paint, and as many coats as you desire (I did 3 light coats and one heavy last coat).

Step Six:

Clean up. Pull off all of the masking tape and plastic carefully. Be extra careful not to touch the fresh paint. Or you can wait a while and take it off later, up to you.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Finished pics!

Here are the finished pics, I'll wash up the Bu some time tomorrow and post some more. For now I will leave it alone and give the paint some time to dry up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts

Nice Compa ! the back next? :D:D:D
And stay away from those car washes.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nice Compa ! the back next? :D:D:D
And stay away from those car washes.
Yes, I will re-paint all of them within the next few days. The one on the trunk, the wheels, and the steering wheel.:D They really don't need it but I might as well det em done now that I have alot of paint.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Looks great! Good job on the write up also, very informative. I just put vinyl on my emblems because I really wanted to see if I would like it without being locked into it, and I must say, it's the only way to go (matched emblems) but I will actually paint them soon. The vinyl is already starting to come up and it's not the exact same color as the car, so I definitely want to paint them.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Great write up and awesome photos, looks great, anyone tried this with the wheels yet? I may leave my gold emblems to add a different touch on the black car but was curious if it was possible on the aluminum wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Looks great! Good job on the write up also, very informative. I just put vinyl on my emblems because I really wanted to see if I would like it without being locked into it, and I must say, it's the only way to go (matched emblems) but I will actually paint them soon. The vinyl is already starting to come up and it's not the exact same color as the car, so I definitely want to paint them.
For those of you with white, black, and silver. You might get away with vinyl instead of paint. I used black vinyl on my truck (been on there for 3 yrs) and it looks great. But there are far more color choices in paint so PTM would be better, go for it and let us know how it goes.

Great write up and awesome photos, looks great, anyone tried this with the wheels yet? I may leave my gold emblems to add a different touch on the black car but was curious if it was possible on the aluminum wheels.
I already have the small emblems on the wheels painted, still look good after some time but the color of paint I found yesterday seems to match better so I am re-painting them as well. To answer your question, yes it is possible.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I took a couple extra steps with mine. I wet sanded the paint after 4 coats with 2000 grit and water since it is spray paint an not perfectly smooth. After that and recleaning it, I put on two more coats of black and 5 coats of clear. I am actually waiting for the paint to cure a little longer before I pull off the tape and paper. Your emblem looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Here is mine painted.
Looks good, now the whole thing isn't painted right? Hard to tell from that angle.
I took a couple extra steps with mine. I wet sanded the paint after 4 coats with 2000 grit and water since it is spray paint an not perfectly smooth. After that and recleaning it, I put on two more coats of black and 5 coats of clear. I am actually waiting for the paint to cure a little longer before I pull off the tape and paper. Your emblem looks good.
I bet you got even better results than I did, nothing wrong with a little wetsanding in between.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts

The only reason that I wetsanded while painting is because of the splatter pattern of the spray paint. It evened out the emblem real nice.

The next day I went back with some polishing compound, my 18v drill and a bit with a cotton pad. I worked the compound into the emblem by hand for a couple minutes then buffed it out with the wheel. Afterwards, I took a toothpick to get all the compound out of the gap in between the emblem and the chrome. I will take a couple pics tomorrow of the front and rear.

This makes me want to sand down and repaint my wife's emblems on her white Tahoe again.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yea, the last paint can I used had some crazy pressure and also spattered the paint. But this time around the paint came out in a nice mist so wetsanding was not needed for the paint or clear. My results were really good considering.

Do it! Its all in the details my friend, the Tahoe will love you for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Yea, the last paint can I used had some crazy pressure and also spattered the paint. But this time around the paint came out in a nice mist so wetsanding was not needed for the paint or clear. My results were really good considering.

Do it! Its all in the details my friend, the Tahoe will love you for it.
Her truck is already debadged with black emblems also. I just did a better job on the Malibu than I did on hers, I think her truck needs more clearcoat on the emblems. Both of our cars are white and debadged with black emblems. I really like the way they look in the driveway side by side.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts

Compa it's been said... but thanks for the clear write up since this is mentioned in alot of forums and there have been a few questions... I'm going to be doing the front and back within the next few weeks, and got my supplies already.

Feeling even more confident to tackle this one now; thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Her truck is already debadged with black emblems also. I just did a better job on the Malibu than I did on hers, I think her truck needs more clearcoat on the emblems. Both of our cars are white and debadged with black emblems. I really like the way they look in the driveway side by side.

Sorry for hijacking your thread!
No need to be sorry, I'm glad that you are posting/involved and welcome any responses. If we stick strictly to the subject things can get a bit boring, going off topic once in a while won't hurt a thing.

How about a pick of the pair side by side, I wanna see now!
Compa it's been said... but thanks for the clear write up since this is mentioned in alot of forums and there have been a few questions... I'm going to be doing the front and back within the next few weeks, and got my supplies already.

I'm happy it helped, my simple write-up along with other's responses and input should steer you in the right direction. Good luck on your PTM-ing and remember to come back and post some pics of the results.

Everyone else is more than welcome to post up pics too!

·
Registered
36 Posts

The hardest part is waiting inbetween coats of paint to not let it run. If you have never painted anything, Practice on something else like an old glass. It will help you figure out how close to spray and how fast to swipe across the area.

Pics will have to wait till this weekend, both cars are dirty and I won't have time to clean them up till then.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Great write up! Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Where can I get some black vinyls to see if I will like them on my Malibu?

2. How long do you have to wait before you can drive it?

3. Even weeks after you paint it you still cannot go through the car wash? Or can you eventually? I'm sorry I just don't understand why you had to redo it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts