Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Newbie to the Malibu world here!

I just purchased my 2017 Malibu this week and have a question regarding the Auto-Stop. Before we were able to take our Malibu home, we took home a loaner (same year, same trim, different color). The loaner had the Auto-Stop enabled. Our Malibu has it disabled somehow. All the google searches I have done, have shown me how to disable it but not ENABLE it again. Is it possible?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,851 Posts
Does the tachometer show an area near zero that says "Engine Off" or similar?

Do you have an Aux battery in the back of the car?

If not, then yours doesn't have Auto-Stop.

·
Administrator
17,851 Posts
Then there could be trouble codes stored.

Is the CEL on? If so, then step 1 is to get the codes read. Bring them back and share them so our members can help with some good guidance.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
@taylorn125 take the Malibu to a Chevrolet dealership and tell them the auto-stop doesn't work so you would like the latest software reflashed on the computer.

@DrivenDaily I wasn't aware that the gen9 had an auxiliary battery for start/stop. I don't think my Cruze does.

·
Administrator
17,851 Posts
@taylorn125 take the Malibu to a Chevrolet dealership and tell them the auto-stop doesn't work so you would like the latest software reflashed on the computer.

@DrivenDaily I wasn't aware that the gen9 had an auxiliary battery for start/stop. I don't think my Cruze does.
Maybe I've assumed something that isn't necessarily accurate. In my mind (where there's a lot of open space for visitors and cobwebs) it seemed that any 'Bu with start/stop has that Aux battery. If not, then I'll definitely be more careful.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
Maybe I've assumed something that isn't necessarily accurate. In my mind (where there's a lot of open space for visitors and cobwebs) it seemed that any 'Bu with start/stop has that Aux battery. If not, then I'll definitely be more careful.
Gen 8s with start/stop all had aux batteries for that functionality, but I think GM eliminated the need for the second battery in newer cars.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,439 Posts
@cp-the-nerd is right, no 2nd battery on the 9th gen Malibu. 2016+ 1.5T have GM's 2nd generation start/stop system using just one battery and some improved management and super (ultra?) caps.

@taylorn125 It is certainly possible a code is pending as that will block an auto stop (though your pic shows no CEL). Being a recent preowned purchase, I do have a couple guesses: I bet codes were cleared or the battery had the negative pulled or perhaps even replaced. This will force a battery relearn to occur and the car won't auto stop for a while. It is also possible considering the timing the car sat on a lot for a while and it is still charging back to optimal levels. It won't allow auto stop until the battery reaches a specific charge level and the battery learn process completes.

Also worth noting it won't auto stop every time you stop - there are specific conditions for this to occur. If you just go out and drive a few miles it might not activate. Here are some specifics about the stop start system (great read): 2nd_gen_AUTOSTOP_detailed_guidelines.pdf

Reactions: Mynewbu87

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I remember something in the manual about certain conditions needing to be met in order for the start/stop system to have engage. It may be that your car isn't meeting one of those requirements.. off the top of my head I remember the transmission needing to be a certain temperature or it won't auto stop, if the a/c is on full blast it won't auto stop and I think if you have a battery under a certain voltage it won't auto stop...that last one actually happened to me my battery was still good and the car ran fine it just didn't auto stop start until I replaced it with a new battery. maybe flip through the drivers information center and see what the battery voltage is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts