Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Malibu LT V6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For months I’ve had a strange squeaking noise coming from the front end. It almost exclusively occurs when I’m backing up in to my parking space and when I’m turning the wheel. After poking around, I grew suspicious of the hubcaps and decided to take the two front hubcaps off and... voila! The noise disappeared. And strangely, it’s impossible to tighten either hubcap completely which is interesting.

I’ve had trouble with poorly fitting, cheap hubcaps on previous cars but they never made noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,376 Posts
For months I’ve had a strange squeaking noise coming from the front end. It almost exclusively occurs when I’m backing up in to my parking space and when I’m turning the wheel. After poking around, I grew suspicious of the hubcaps and decided to take the two front hubcaps off and... voila! The noise disappeared. And strangely, it’s impossible to tighten either hubcap completely which is interesting.

I’ve had trouble with poorly fitting, cheap hubcaps on previous cars but they never made noise. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thank you for adding your vehicle info to your avatar! That is so helpful! :)

I believe that those covers are the kind with fake lug nuts that screw onto the real lug nuts. They're plastic and wear out quickly, especially if a tire monkey doesn't take the time to loosen them properly, or over-tightens them.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
As the miles go on the wheel covers do get looser.
On my old '09 with the factory chrome covers I put ''dots'' of silicone on the covers on the edges, kind of like bumpers, so the covers fit tighter when the lug nuts were tightened down. There were ''strips'' on the covers that were missing or worn down on mine.

Reactions: TheKillerAnt
1 - 3 of 3 Posts