Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drivers side temp is stuck and this is a single zone control setup. Cold air in winter and hot in summer. Passenger side is fine as my wife will frequently turn the temp down in winter because she's getting cooked while I'm cold. I've checked the blend door actuator, that is working fine. I've seen others saying that there was a crack in the coolant tank allowing air in, which I had and fixed already, but doesn't make sense how that would only affect one side.

I recently saw a video where a connecting rod had broke off one of the blend/mode doors within the HVAC box. It required removal of the whole box and by the size looked like the entire dash needed to be removed to do so. I really don't want to spend the time removing stuff that I don't need to as they said it required 10 hours.

As for the mode select problem, the controls move air everywhere I select with the exception of blowing on my feet only. I'm thinking something could be stuck or maybe a gear has missing teeth. I appreciate the help as I'm not able to find anything different within the forums from what I've already tried.

Edit: Sorry for not including this originally. The car is a 2013 LT 2.5L, 6T40, 150k miles, with single zone control.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Share the info about your car, please.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Share the info about your car, please.

Edited my original post. Sorry for not following all the rules.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,279 Posts
Edited my original post. Sorry for not following all the rules.
No harm, no foul. Just glad to see ya pop back in and provide the info so folks can help you.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Shop manual for my '15 manual control hvac system shows the gears and procedures. If gears are a problem hvac module has to come out for proper alignment which requires draining a/c system and cooling system. That's part of the 10 hr repair.
alldatadiy.com is my manual source for my fleet. I'd recommend getting a subscription for your car if your going to diagnose / repair yours yourself as they have diagrams of the system and procedures.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shop manual for my '15 manual control hvac system shows the gears and procedures. If gears are a problem hvac module has to come out for proper alignment which requires draining a/c system and cooling system. That's part of the 10 hr repair.
alldatadiy.com is my manual source for my fleet. I'd recommend getting a subscription for your car if your going to diagnose / repair yours yourself as they have diagrams of the system and procedures.
Here's the video I found that made me question the 10 hour procedure.

It makes sense that it could be the problem but that is a lot of work. If it requires a coolant and AC flush, I might as well have them tackle everything at once since the car could use new coolant and my AC was acting funny before. It seems to be working now though. I'm unsure of what else it could be since it blows hot and cold on the passenger side and currently it blows cold on the driver side, and I'm able to get air out of all vents but the driver side is always cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts