Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to buy a 2009 Hybrid Malibu.

I'm interested in hearing about them. Specifically any issues at all with the finish, interior, also the engine, gas economy, etc...

Thanks,

Nick

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Great car, as are all Malibu's.

Just be advised, although it does get great mileage for the price and style/features/quality, it's not a full hybrid system and doesn't have an electric running mode. Basically just engine kill when stopped and electric boost when driving.

The Ecotec, with Hybrid or not, is an extremely smooth, quiet, and efficient 4-cylinder and fits well with the Malibu package. Quality and finish are some of the Malibu's best attributes.

As for 2008 vs. 2009, the main differences are a mpg bump for 2009's as well as new wheels and the side marker lamps being deleted.

Here's just a few Hybrid threads we already have:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373&highlight=hybrid
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=hybrid
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167&highlight=hybrid

Terrific car and hopefully one works for you! The GM light/mild Hybrid system is pretty impressive for the low price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was set on buying the hybrid as well. Things I didn't like were that you never really run exclusively on battery; if you have the a/c on, the engine still runs at stoplights which cancels the benefit of the hybrid. The positive was the tax credit that made it comparable in price to other models.

I ended up buying the 4cyl LTZ with the 6 speed auto. My commute is mostly highway and I get 29mpg on average. I just took a trip to Los Angeles and got 35 on the freeway. In LA, I hit stop and go traffic and heavy traffic on the city streets. I got 22mpg. That is the worst I have gotten so far.

The 6 speed makes the 4cyl feel quite powerful. The hybrid felt a bit gutless to me. Test drive the 6 speed model before you buy. If you drive in city traffic every day, the hybrid might still be the right choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was set on buying the hybrid as well. Things I didn't like were that you never really run exclusively on battery; if you have the a/c on, the engine still runs at stoplights which cancels the benefit of the hybrid. The positive was the tax credit that made it comparable in price to other models.

I ended up buying the 4cyl LTZ with the 6 speed auto. My commute is mostly highway and I get 29mpg on average. I just took a trip to Los Angeles and got 35 on the freeway. In LA, I hit stop and go traffic and heavy traffic on the city streets. I got 22mpg. That is the worst I have gotten so far.

The 6 speed makes the 4cyl feel quite powerful. The hybrid felt a bit gutless to me. Test drive the 6 speed model before you buy. If you drive in city traffic every day, the hybrid might still be the right choice.
Thanks.

My daily commute is 18 miles through city streets (who wants to go on the 4-or-5 miles an hour freeway...) so it looks good for the Hybrid.

When I want speed... the Corvette Z06 is my next car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Comment:, my A/C in my Malibu Hybrid 2008 2.4L stopped working due to the bolt that holds the clutch plate to the compressor breaking off. I just wonder if anybody ever had this problem before. I bought the car almost new and I don't have any record that the A/C was repaired at any time before I bought the car. My guess is that the bolt at the plate clutch was over torque at the factory or the wrong bolt was installed. I don't know if the broken bolt can be removed and replaced or if the whole compressor has to be replaced. Any help or info is appreciated.

manolo 2008

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hey there manolo2008

I see that you are having an issue with your air condition in your vehicle and I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I understand that you are looking to fix this issue yourself. I cannot provide you any do-it-yourself type of advice or diagnose you vehicle, but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Feel free to contact me via private message any time!

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
JenniferT,

I am new at this forum and don't know much about how it works. Where can I find your email address to contact you?

Thank you,
manolo2008

·
Registered
5 Posts
JenniferT.,

I sent you a private message, hope that you received it. Unless I did it wrong since I don't know how this system works.
thanks again,

manolo2008

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.