Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car and Driver did a Hybrid comparison with the Malibu, Altima, Camry and Ford Fusion in this month's issue.

Malibu finished last!! Worst performance and worst fuel mileage. For $4000 over the base model it said it wasn't worth getting a Hybrid to save such little fuel.

They called it a half-hearted attempt and said "GM layed down another bunt.

The article wasn't very flattering........but praised Ford quite a bit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just read that today. I'm thinking GM knew it was going to be below most of the competition and that is why it has limited availability.

They should do a comparison of the full size SUV Hybrids and see who wins. The Tahoe Hybrid will get 21mpg City and can still pull over 6,000lbs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read that today. I'm thinking GM knew it was going to be below most of the competition and that is why it has limited availability.

They should do a comparison of the full size SUV Hybrids and see who wins. The Tahoe Hybrid will get 21mpg City and can still pull over 6,000lbs.
True, that's a good step forward.

The Malibu gets 26mpg city - only 5mpg more than that huge Tahoe Hybrid!

The Fusion is rated at 39mpg city!! That's a very significant difference.

I wonder why the malibu didnt get the similar system as the Tahoe? Maybe they had to rush this Malibu into production just to say they offer a hybrid.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I wonder why the malibu didnt get the similar system as the Tahoe? Maybe they had to rush this Malibu into production just to say they offer a hybrid.
The Malibu system is, essentially, a very simple start-stop setup that didn't require huge development time and was meant as a partial hybrid setup to use in a few models for little cost. It's not the 2-mode as in the Tahoe, because that was designed by a team of GM (the lead), Chrysler, BMW, and others for use in mostly larger rear drive applications with considerable space to locate all the parts. They need a 2-mode system for compact vehicles, but don't have it yet.

The first, actually, will be the 2-mode Saturn Vue supposed to be out soon (a full hybrid this time but also using the 3.6L V6 with it, interestingly enough. This smaller setup is hoped to be adaptable to other vehicles--and better be--such as sedans like the Malibu as soon as possible, but it won't be immediately.

Ford is the only domestic with a huge step forward in full 2-mode Hybrid systems for small utilities and now sedans, starting with the Escape that came out years ago. The Fusion use was a natural progression and, wow, did they ever do it well. The best mileage ratings in the class, and that so far even professional reviewers have been blowing away, with entertaining driving dynamics and quality that have always been a Fusion/Milan strong point.

Basically, I wish GM had the same kind of smaller system like Ford to use and use well, but nothing yet exists, more than sparsely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
GM shouldn't have even bothered with a Hybrid for the Malibu - they have already destroyed their reputation in doing so. I think they should have waited until they could release a full Hybrid -2010 model?

Hopefully they can a full version going for '10!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
GM shouldn't have even bothered with a Hybrid for the Malibu - they have already destroyed their reputation in doing so. I think they should have waited until they could release a full Hybrid -2010 model?

Hopefully they can a full version going for '10!
No, not at all. There still is no drop in system for the platform, and if there was, '10 would still be too early. That sucks, but it's reality.

The new Fusion Hybrid is going to be getting a lot of attention, especially as it already is from reviewers getting high 40's and even low 50's for mileage (in a car like the Fusion and how fantastic Ford's Hybrid system is...awesome), for sure. It's too bad the Malibu isn't in a similar state with a 2-mode, as even now with the repeated price increases, the mild Hybrid it does have can't even sell on the value proposition anymore, in the high 20k's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.