Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Fellas,
I finally got a chance to get out of bumper to bumper traffic and hit the open road this weekend, On the street I have routinely got 26-30 MPG, but now I got to hit 65MPH+, and the hybrid responded great While traveling at 65MPH+ I got 36+ MPG, Using the cruise control I was able to get 36-40 MPG, it was great.
I am really glad I bought this HYBRID, I put on 155 Miles, and didnt even waste 1/8 of a tank! My trip reader reads 365 (after the trip)....I'm so excited!
BTW...I have owned my car for about 3 weeks, I bought it April 25, 2008.

:D

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
but now I got to hit 65MPH+, and the hybrid responded great While traveling at 65MPH+ I got 36+ MPG, Using the cruise control I was able to get 36-40 MPG, it was great.
Excellent news Frank, please keep us informed about your mileage numbers. With those results the Hybrid is looking like a winner, as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's good but I thought that Hybrids didn't do well on the hiway. I didn't think the electric part of the hibrid was used at hiway speeds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought the electric motor only kicks in during idle when the motor turns off, so I don't see how it can help highway driving MPG.

I looked at the hybrid they have at a local dealer. Somewhat plain looking but still a Mailbu!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the electric motor only kicks in during idle when the motor turns off, so I don't see how it can help highway driving MPG.

I looked at the hybrid they have at a local dealer. Somewhat plain looking but still a Mailbu!
Well thats the beauty of this car it has a green ECO light that tells you when you are maximizing MPG, so when traveling at 65+MPH the green light turns on you just switch the Cruise Control on and coast at 36-40 MPG!

My malibu did look plain when I bought it, but I have fixed it up a bit, Tinted Windows & Chrome Door Handles. It looks good, get compliments all the time.

·
Registered
326 Posts
In looking through inventory, I noticed that some hybrids have a $1500 reduction while others don't. CAn anyone tell me what this is all about?

MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE
$23,640.00 STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE
Options installed by Manufacturer
FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
$-1,500.00 TOTAL OPTIONS
$22,140.00 TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS
$650.00 DESTINATION CHARGE
$22,790.00 TOTAL VEHICLE PRICE*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Items Featured Below are included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the Standard Vehicle Price Shown at Right
STANDARD FEATURES
5 YEAR / 100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
EXTENDED 8YR/100,000 MILE HYBRID COMPONENT WARRANTY SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS
*** MECHANICAL ***
2.4L 4 CYLINDER DOHC ENGINE
TRANSMISSION, 4 SPD AUTOMATIC
4-WHL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
ADVANCED NIMH HYBRID BATTERY
ELECTRIC MOTOR GENERATOR UNIT
REGENERATIVE BRAKES WITH ABS
*** SAFETY & SECURITY ***
AIR BAGS, DUAL FRONTAL, PASSENGER SENSING SYSTEM; HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS, FRONT/OUTBOARD REAR; SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS, DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, 4-WHEEL DISC
STABILITRAK STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM INCL. TRACTION CONTROL
REAR CHILD SEAT LATCH SYSTEM
1YR ONSTAR DIRECTIONS W/TURN- BY-TURN NAVIGATION(ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)
*** EXTERIOR ***
16" WHEELS, ALLOY
TOURING TIRES
POWER OUTSIDE MIRRORS, FOLDING, BODY COLOR
CHROME EXHAUST TIP
*** INTERIOR ***
"ECO" FUEL ECONOMY INDICATOR
HYBRID CHARGE/ASSIST GAUGE
AIR CONDITIONING, AUTOMATIC
POWER DOOR LOCKS
POWER WINDOWS, DRIVER EXPRESS DOWN
POWER TRUNK RELEASE
AM/FM STEREO, CD PLAYER,
XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE FEE EXTRA. 1ST 3 MONTHS INCL.
MANUAL LUMBAR, DRIVER SEAT
FLOOR MATS
REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER
SEAT, REAR SPLIT FOLDING
DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER
TILT AND TELESCOPIC STEERING WHEEL WITH CRUISE AND AUDIO CONTROLS
REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
*** OTHER ***
TIRE SEALANT & INFLATOR KIT IN PLACE OF SPARE TIRE

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hand Calculated non-DIC 2008 Malibu Hybrid MPG

What are some real hand calculated MPG, real world driving that personal owners have been getting? Stop and go, A/C on, 80 MPH freeway, you know the way they dont test the cars but have gotten better with this last year.

Anyone that owns a Hybrid Malibu please write what your getting non-DIC results.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
calirider, I merged your Thread with an existing Thread with the same topic.
Not really the same topic, but similar. This guy is only clamming things and has no real proof of it. How would the EPA be rating these cars that much under. He does not even say if that is hand calc or DIC clac.

I did read this post but it did not satisfy my question in my mind, that is why I created a new topic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No real proof what do you need?
Want me record my entire trip on a tank of gas and post it on YOUTUBE???
Here are my stats(btw the DIC is prettty acurate)
Anyways I drive exactly 33 Miles to work round trip equals 66.
Plus any little excess driving Lunch, Post Office, Bank etc....(30 miles per week)
66x5=360 Miles a week. The full tank will last me 360 miles plus any driving on the weekend.
I pump 55 dollars per week @ 3.99 per gallon in California.
So basically I get between 390-450 Miles on one tank, again everything depends on driving conditions etc...

BTW, the Malibu hybrid is not a FULL mode hybrid, it is a mild hybrid. It can not run on electricity alone like the prius, camry, altima, civic hybrids.
The Malibu Hybrid is a very in-expensive way of adding 10% fuel economy to a regular four cylinder Malibu. Plus you get 1300 dollar tax incentive. The Hybrid feature pays for itself.
I have put 1400 Miles on my car and I have pumped exactly $165.00 Dollars
Any more info you need let me know

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Frank, if nothing else, we have an interesting topic here.

I would be interested in knowing more about your driving habits and your ongoing mileage results. I think you could do us all a service by keeping your mileage and gas consumption results posted.

I'm sure many of us are on the edge concerning the true value of the Hybrid and I think your efforts in tracking the Hybrid would be a benefit to the Forum. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is great that you get 30 MPG in the city, I have never seen any car that gets 6 MPG better than the EPA rates it. Next time you fill up rest your trip and then when you fill up again divide your miles out by how many gallons you pump and post what you got. I know the DIC and I know they are close but close is not good.

I am looking at the Malibu because of the fact that it is not a full hybrid, not a huge battery pack (e.g. Inco Mine), and that my dad sells them. It is super hard to find good info on the hybrid Malibu and one reason is because the GM employees do not care for the car. My dads trainer told all the salesmen that it is not a real hybrid and would not even talk about it to them. My dad has a hard time finding out info on them and they only have one in stock and he says no one asks for it and no one cars about them. I am trying to change that. I hope 30 MPG is right in the city, that would be amazing for the sales of these mild hybrids and the Malibu. Also, the EPA should re-test it because they rate it at 24 MPG city which the EPA is normally on the high side not the low side.

I want to make it clear that I am not knocking anyone, I am simply trying to find good first hand info on this new car, MPG in specific, so I can make up my mind between the hybrid or regular Malibus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Frank, if nothing else, we have an interesting topic here.

I would be interested in knowing more about your driving habits and your ongoing mileage results. I think you could do us all a service by keeping your mileage and gas consumption results posted.

I'm sure many of us are on the edge concerning the true value of the Hybrid and I think your efforts in tracking the Hybrid would be a benefit to the Forum. :)
+1

Actual mileage and gallons would be awesome if possible, non-DIC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cali,
here is a great video review real world driving on the Hybrid
this guy is getting 28 City 34 Hwy
http://www.mpgomatic.com/2008/05/11/chevy-malibu-hybrid-review/
I have seen that video, once again it does not state if they used the DIC or hand calculated it. Also, I like to hear from real people that I know are not biased and I have not heard of that site before. Car and Driver and Motor Trend came up with lower numbers than what the EPA came up with and they are normally a bit more accurate.

Thanks for the link

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen that video, once again it does not state if they used the DIC or hand calculated it. Also, I like to hear from real people that I know are not biased and I have not heard of that site before. Car and Driver and Motor Trend came up with lower numbers than what the EPA came up with and they are normally a bit more accurate.

Thanks for the link
here is antoher review with high MPG ratings. Cars.com, that a pretty credible source. If you want to save a lot of gas buy a Prius, the Malibu is a mild hybrid doesnt run on eletric alone, but its a lot less expensive and you get 1300 dollars back. Plus it looks a lot better than the camry, prius, civic or altima.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=reviews&crpPage=reviews.jsp&makeid=9&modelid=92&year=2008&myid=&acode=&mode=&aff=national

·
Registered
21 Posts
here is antoher review with high MPG ratings. Cars.com, that a pretty credible source. If you want to save a lot of gas buy a Prius, the Malibu is a mild hybrid doesnt run on eletric alone, but its a lot less expensive and you get 1300 dollars back. Plus it looks a lot better than the camry, prius, civic or altima.

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?section=reviews&crpPage=reviews.jsp&makeid=9&modelid=92&year=2008&myid=&acode=&mode=&aff=national
For sure it looks a whole lot better, I am not a fan of the full hybrid. I like the Malibu b/c it is a mild. I do not want a full hybrid they are not proven yet and I still buy American unlike a lot of Americans. I was looking at just getting the regular Malibu but then thought I might try the hybrid version just b/c it is there. I wonder why they do not put the six speed in it and try to get a could more MPG out of the mild hybrid system?

Thanks for the review, I had not seen that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.