Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Malibu V6 Hey guys, new to the site but not new to forums. I have alot of useful information for everyone about cars, escpecially saturns... I am your man to go to with those. Anywho... here is the story;

Thursday of last week - car got a new battery.
Sunday - The car decided it wanted to lose a starter.
Monday - put a starter on, and as soon as it cranked over the battery light came on 5 seconds later. Alternator failed.
Got another alternator from pepboys... failed same way.
Got another from advanced.... failed the same.

Update Got another alternator but have not put it in. I am worried that my friend wired the starter up wrong. He put it up the first time while I was doing something. Then I retightened and checked the wires but I am not sure how they go since he took it down. Right now it is setup

Ignition wire on ignition post (hard to screw that up on these cars)
Red wire on the front post towards the manifold and then the black wire (or so it looks... I am a big build guy its hard for me to get my arm around in there) to the post with the weave wire on it that goes from the starter motor to solenoid.

Is this correct? I have another alternator ready to be installed, I just want to make sure of wiring...

Thanks guys. I am sure I will be able to provide help in return. Oh and side note... the friend knows nothing of cars... I know I know. I thought I have taught him well of putting things back the way they came off. But I guess not.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,692 Posts
Now that I'm aware of this having been posted in the Gen7 section, I moved it... :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LMAO... There was a harness issue. I don't remember what it was, but I got it fixed up. Since then the car has been replaced with a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 that is currently pretty heavily modded. Stock turbo, conservative e85 tune. Put up close to 330whp and 361tq. :D Yeah, many things have changed since the creation of this thread.

Here's the new car:

http://youtu.be/xTL5x1c1v4A

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and the Malibu lasted to 190k and was running like a champ when I traded it in. I should have kept it though. It was a great daily driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.