Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

I can feel and hear a fan/belt, not so sure.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Darknoor 
#1 ·
Hello,
LTZ 2.4 i4 2014 - KSA

I have taken my car to ACDelco recently for a complete checkup. All they did was a computer scan and poke it twice with a pipe below (I swear I am not exaggerating). They claim that that was all needed and my car needed no refills/repairs/replacements what-so-ever.

I then pointed out some things, including the sprak plugs and indeed they were used and starting to rust a bit. (I mean, seriously if I was not standing there would they have done anything at all?)

So I replaced them and they said I needed to clean the throttle because it had 100% carbon, which cost me $160 claiming my car should no longer vibrate, accelerate better and use fuel more economecly. NOTHING HAPPENED of course. Oh, it did change; it now ... what is the word? It will need a push on the gas before I move whenever I start it.
But, now three weeks later, I felt something odd. I knew it was not the worn street, I always drive on it. It felt like a loose belt, or a fan that is not staying in place. I thought I heard it, but I actually felt it and it was obvious. Otherwise, it drove normally but I just know that what I felt was abnormal.
Now ACDelco are official people here in KSA and if they suck this bad, I am afraid to take my car to a local workshop without knowing possibilities so I do not get scammed.

Sorry this was long.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your post was not long compared to others, including some of mine! ;)

KSA = Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (for some readers who may need a little input).

How many miles or kilometers are on the vehicle? That is a large determiner of when to change spark plugs or any other maintenance. A lot of folks here who recommend one thing or another tend to all sing the same song when it comes to which schedule to use: They say to use the Severe Duty schedule. This assumes that cold engine starts, high ambient heat, and other things tend to degrade motor oil and other items more quickly. I tend to concur with their opinions.

Your engine uses a timing chain and has VVT equipment. Those may need some attention on a regular schedule.

The TB (throttle body) may have needed cleaning, but that did nothing for the intake valves. Since yours is a DI (direct injection) engine, the valves accumulate build-up that can't be cleaned by the fuel since it is no longer sprayed into the intake runners, which helps clean them.

You have a serpentine (serp) belt with a tensioner. One or both of those may need inspection or replacement.

If you can figure out what you need done, you might be able to take it to a local garage to have the work done, with the understanding that you will be directing what is done and what is not. That way, only what you authorize is what work will be performed, and no inspections or "hanky panky" will happen, especially not if you are allowed to watch, learn, and ask questions while they do the work. In this way, you may also find a place with whom you can build good rapport for a long-term relationship.

No matter what, you would be wise to inspect for any issues, such as road debris that flew up or any unexpected failures of one or more components. I mean, after all, they poked your car with a pipe!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.